Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy has declared that Sir Keir Starmer will continue to lead the Labour Party without setting a timetable for his departure, urging colleagues to end the internal strife that has plagued the government in recent days. Speaking to broadcasters on Monday, Lammy insisted the Prime Minister remains resilient and focused on governing, despite mounting pressure following a poor local election performance.
Lammy warns of electoral consequences
In a stark warning to his party, Lammy said Labour would lose the next general election if the 'internecine warfare' of the past ten days persists. He described the infighting as 'spectacular own goals' that distract from delivering for the British public. 'Now is the time to stop the own goals, to get on the pitch, to pass the ball amongst ourselves, to play in the right direction, to score some goals on behalf of the British public,' he told Sky News.
Lammy emphasised that introspection and internal conflict would only benefit Reform UK, led by Nigel Farage. 'What that will usher in is Farage,' he warned on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, adding that the government must focus on delivery rather than 'sixth form debate'.
No timetable for Starmer's departure
Lammy confirmed he had spoken to Starmer twice on Sunday and described him as the 'most resilient person I know'. He stated unequivocally that there would be no timetables for the Prime Minister's exit, despite speculation that Starmer is privately considering whether to defend his leadership if a challenge is mounted. 'He has my full support,' Lammy added.
However, Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy appeared to deviate from the government line on Sunday, describing any leadership contest decision as 'a very personal decision for him'. Lammy declined to confirm whether Starmer would run in a contest but reiterated that the Prime Minister 'fights on'.
Brexit debate reignites among Labour rivals
The leadership turmoil has reignited the Brexit debate, with several potential successors positioning themselves on the issue. Wes Streeting, who resigned as health secretary last week, signalled his support for rejoining the European Union as he announced his candidacy for any leadership contest. Lammy, who has previously suggested economic benefits to returning to the customs union, refused to be drawn on his personal view, citing cabinet collective responsibility and the government's commitment to its Brexit red lines.
Supporters of Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham are reportedly furious with Streeting, believing his stance undermines Burnham's campaign in the Leave-voting Makerfield by-election, where Reform UK is a close contender. Burnham himself has played down his support for rejoining, arguing there is a 'long-term case' but insisting he is not campaigning on the issue.
Labour MP criticises reopening Brexit debate
Labour MP Jonathan Hinder described the idea of reopening the Brexit debate as a 'staggering level of out of touch', warning that the party is in an 'existential crisis' and has lost support in its working-class heartlands to Reform UK, which 'until recently was called the Brexit Party'.
Culture Secretary Nandy rebuked Streeting for making Europe a central focus of his campaign, calling it 'odd'. 'If rejoining the EU is the answer, then essentially what we're saying to people is, life was fine in 2015, we just need to go back there,' she said.
Reform UK plans to exploit Burnham's previous support for rejoining the EU as it campaigns in the Makerfield constituency. The Labour government has promised not to rejoin the customs union, single market, or return to freedom of movement.
On Monday, Josh Simons, who vacated his Makerfield seat to allow Burnham to stand, formally resigned as an MP through the archaic procedure of being appointed Steward and Bailiff of the Three Hundreds of Chiltern. Applications for Labour's Makerfield candidacy close on Monday, and the party's National Executive Committee will endorse a candidate on Thursday.



