Trump Allies Seek Payouts from $1.8B Compensation Fund
Trump Allies Line Up for $1.8B Fund Payouts

Hundreds of individuals accused of participating in the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol are lining up to claim multi-million dollar payouts from a nearly $1.8 billion compensation fund established by the Trump administration. The fund, officially titled the 'Anti-Weaponization Fund,' is intended to compensate 'victims' of government 'lawfare and weaponization,' but critics have dismissed it as a 'slush fund' designed to reward the president's allies.

January 6 Defendants Eyeing Compensation

Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the Proud Boys who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for treason-related charges connected to the attack, told Reuters he anticipates receiving a payout between $2 million and $5 million. 'I'm not greedy,' he said. 'But my life was all f***** up because of this.'

Peter Ticktin, an attorney representing over 400 January 6 defendants, warned that the $1.8 billion fund might not be sufficient. 'People lost multi-million dollar businesses while they were locked up,' he told Reuters. 'I don't think the DOJ is ready for us yet.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Jonathan Gross, another lawyer for January 6 defendants, has requested a meeting with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to discuss what he called 'the worst example of mass lawfare in American history.' In a letter dated May 20, he wrote: 'If we are to prevent it from ever happening again, it is essential that you hear the full story directly from the victims. Families were destroyed, lives were lost, and countless individuals, including young children, continue to suffer devastating consequences.'

More than 1,500 people were criminally charged in connection with the riots, which were fueled by Trump's false narrative that the 2020 presidential election was rigged. Hundreds pleaded guilty, and over 200 were found guilty at trial. Virtually all of them received a pardon from the president.

Adam Christian Johnson, who was photographed carrying the Speaker's lectern during the riot, said he is considering traveling to Washington, D.C., to deliver his claim to the Justice Department 'personally.' Johnson, who goes by 'The Lectern Guy' on social media, complained that 'the infamy gained from this photo will be in history books.' He wrote on X: 'What they did to me will have a generational effect on my family and their livelihoods. My face and the accusation of being a thief was shared globally... for years. It still persists today … harming my chances to win my local election or lead a normal life.' He claimed his attorney fees totaled $100,000 and he spent another $150,000 on 'publicity' to 'clear my name and restore my reputation.'

Yvonne St. Cyr, who was sentenced to 30 months in prison for crawling through a Senate window on January 6, told The Washington Post she hopes to receive $10 million. She had earlier compared herself to Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane when her sentence was handed down.

Other Trump Allies Seeking Funds

The $1.776 billion fund is part of Trump's ongoing efforts to rewrite the history of the 2020 election and downplay the violence captured on video during the Capitol attack. Acting Attorney General Blanche has not ruled out taxpayer money going to individuals who assaulted law enforcement officers that day. The first known lawsuit against the fund came from two police officers who were beaten and bloodied by the mob.

Trump told reporters on Wednesday that victims of 'weaponization' under previous administrations—referring to allies investigated in connection with his campaigns and the Capitol attack—'were destroyed, they went to jail, their families were ruined, they committed suicide.' He added: 'We're reimbursing those people for their legal fees and for their costs, and for anybody involved. It was the most violent thing I've ever seen in politics.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

MyPillow founder Mike Lindell, an election conspiracy theorist, is also considering a claim. Lindell, whose phone was seized by the FBI in connection with investigations into an alleged conspiracy to overturn election results, said his company lost 'millions and millions of dollars' after he joined spurious legal battles against Trump's loss. He told his pro-Trump media network, LindellTV, that MyPillow lost $400 million in value. A potential payout from the fund would be a 'blessing' for his employees, he said: 'It's just horrific that our own government could do this to the American dream. It would be a blessing to actually get some of my employees made whole, who were stockholders in MyPillow.'

One American News Network (OAN), the pro-Trump outlet that amplified false election fraud claims, is 'seriously considering' a claim, according to its lawyer Chris Babcock. Former congressman George Santos, whose prison sentence for identity theft and wire fraud was commuted by Trump earlier this year, told The Washington Post he is considering applying for the fund—not for money but for an apology. 'It's not a monetary issue for me. I'm not injured. I'm able to maintain income,' he said. 'I want to correct the record. I think it's a great avenue to do so.'

The first known potential claimant is former Trump adviser Michael Caputo, who was investigated by former special counsel Robert Mueller in connection with Russian interference in the 2016 elections. He was never charged and is seeking $2.7 million.