Reform suspends councillor Glenn Gibbins over offensive Facebook post
Reform suspends Sunderland councillor over offensive post

A Reform UK councillor who appeared in court over an allegedly grossly offensive social media post has been suspended from the party. Sunderland City Councillor Glenn Gibbins, 66, appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court in connection with an alleged Facebook post from 2024, before he was elected.

Charge under Communications Act

Northumbria Police announced last month that Gibbins had been charged with an offence under the Communications Act 2003 for a post which referenced the Nigerian community. The force began an investigation when the post came to light in May.

Gibbins, who was elected to the council in May of this year, was suspended by Reform then reinstated with a final written warning, according to reports. After he was charged, the party last month suspended him again and he is listed on the Sunderland City Council website as an Independent.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Party statement and court hearing

A Reform spokesperson said: “Cllr Gibbins has been suspended from Reform UK pending the outcome of his case.”

In court, Gibbins denied the offence. District Judge Zoe Passfield said: “The issue is very straightforward, was the message offensive, which Mr Gibbins agrees it was, or was it grossly offensive?” Referring to the right to freedom of expression, the judge added: “Was it sufficiently offensive to override his Article 10 rights?”

Gibbins spoke only to confirm his name and address. A trial lasting three hours was scheduled for November 9 at the same court, and the councillor was granted unconditional bail.

Background and police appeal

Gibbins, who was elected to Sunderland City Council, was suspended by Reform following allegations he had complained on social media about the “amount of Nigerians in town”. He was then reinstated with a final written warning, according to reports.

After Gibbins was charged, a Northumbria police spokesperson said: “We are aware there has already been significant interest in relation to this individual and the social media post. We would urge people not to speculate both online and in the community in relation to this case.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration