A police and crime commissioner has strongly criticised a court's decision to spare three teenage boys prison after they raped two girls and filmed the attacks, describing the sentences as 'far too lenient'.
Sentences Without Custody
Donna Jones, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, expressed deep concern that the boys, two aged 15 and one aged 14, could commit such 'terrifying acts' and yet avoid a custodial sentence. The trial at Southampton Crown Court heard that the two girls were raped in separate incidents in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, with the first attack occurring on November 26, 2024, and the second on January 17, 2025. The three boys were handed youth rehabilitation orders (YROs), with the two older ones also subjected to intensive supervision and surveillance (ISS), but they were not sent to prison.
Victim Impact
One of the girls was attacked in an underpass beside the River Avon. In court, she read a victim impact statement and a poem directed at her attackers, describing how her mental health had deteriorated, leading her to isolate from friends. She said: 'I was caught off-guard, I never want that to happen again, I will never get that innocence back again.' Her poem included the line: 'All I want to do is die, I no longer have fear for when that comes.' The second victim's statement, read on her behalf, noted that her school attendance had suffered and that she felt 'overwhelmed, anxious and emotionally exhausted'. She described suffering nightmares and struggling to sleep, adding: 'I feel ashamed, insecure and uncomfortable in my own body. The person I was before the incident has completely gone.'
Commissioner's Response
Ms Jones said she would support the families if they sought an appeal against the leniency of the sentences. She stated: 'This is an extremely disturbing case. I'm deeply concerned these boys felt they could carry out such terrifying acts and share them online and not go to prison. Their sentences reflect a clear focus on rehabilitation rather than criminalisation. They are far too lenient. As they stand, they offer little comfort to their victims as they try to rebuild their lives after such harrowing experiences.' She emphasised the importance of educating young people about sexual violence and misogynistic attitudes to prevent such crimes.
Details of the Sentences
A 15-year-old boy received a three-year YRO with 180 days of ISS for raping each of the two girls and two indecent images charges. The court heard he had been diagnosed with ADHD and 'long-standing anxiety'. A second 15-year-old received the same sentence for three charges of rape against each victim and four counts of taking indecent images related to filming the incidents. The court was told he had an IQ in the 'bottom 1% of his contemporaries' and had been diagnosed with ADHD. The third boy, aged 14, was given an 18-month YRO for two charges of rape in the January incident by encouraging the second defendant and an offence of indecent images. He was described as having 'mild cognitive impairment'.
Judge's Rationale
Judge Nicholas Rowland told the defendants: 'I have to remember that you are not small adults. I have to think how likely you are to do serious things again and I need to make sure you do not do serious things again in the future.' He added: 'I should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily and understand the effects of their behaviour and support their reintegration into society.' He noted that 'peer pressure played a large part in what went on'. The judge praised the bravery of the two girls, saying to the first victim: 'I hope when you look back on today's date you will take some comfort from the fact you have shown that courage in coming along to court. You and [the second girl] have shown great courage in coming along to the trial and speaking as you did.' He added: 'The sentence I am going to pass cannot possibly undo what happened to you.' The boys were also placed under a three-month curfew and given a 10-year restraining order not to contact their victims.
Prosecution and CPS Response
Jodie Mittel KC, prosecuting, told the trial that the girl in the November incident, aged 15 at the time, had visited the first defendant after meeting him on Snapchat. She became 'scared and anxious' when the second defendant joined them with a third boy who was not charged. The girl felt 'cornered and trapped' and 'petrified' as the two defendants raped her while the incident was filmed. Afterward, videos were circulated, and she received messages calling her a 'slag'. The victim in the January incident, aged 14, was raped in a field near Fordingbridge recreation ground while the incident was also filmed. Siobhan Blake, the Crown Prosecution Service's national lead for rape and serious sexual offences, said: 'It is vital young people are educated and informed about consent and that harmful and misogynistic attitudes are tackled as early as possible to prevent these crimes. Everyone has a part to play. Young people must understand that sexual activity without consent is a serious criminal offence that can lead to them being prosecuted.'



