Nottingham Maternity Scandal Families Urge New Health Secretary for Meeting
Nottingham Maternity Scandal Families Urge New Health Secretary

Families affected by the Nottingham maternity scandal have urged the newly appointed health secretary to meet with them before a critical report is published next month. The major review of care at the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, led by former midwife Donna Ockenden, encompasses nearly 2,500 families whose lives have been affected by the deaths or injuries of hundreds of babies. The inquiry is the largest in NHS history and has been ongoing for more than three years.

Letter to James Murray

In a letter sent on Thursday, the affected families stressed to James Murray, who took over from Wes Streeting last week, that listening to their experiences "must remain at the heart of this process." The findings of Ms Ockenden’s review are set to be released on 24 June.

They wrote: "We believe it is vital that you hear directly from those affected before the review concludes, and we ask that you come to Nottingham to meet families, listen to our experiences, and understand the reality behind this report before the findings are shared with Parliament and the public."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The families said they believe the government has a duty to "fully recognise the scale and seriousness of what has happened in Nottingham." They added that they have worked hard to be listened to, including by meeting regulators, police, MPs and previous health secretaries. Mr Streeting met affected families last year.

Emotional Toll on Families

The letter added that families have "repeatedly relived the worst moments of their lives" in the hope that changes will be implemented to prevent further harm. They added: "Some parents now visit the graves of their children. Others live with the reality of watching their children suffer daily pain and life-limiting injuries, knowing that one day they too may be standing beside a tiny grave. Some of those considered ‘lucky’ enough to have surviving children are themselves living with debilitating, life-changing injuries. These failures do not devastate individuals alone – they destroy entire families."

Ockenden Review and Police Investigation

At a meeting with families earlier this month, Ms Ockenden said: "Families are not just numbers. Behind every number is hurt, harm, trauma, sometimes babies who have died, and children who have been left brain-damaged." She added that change must happen in a "meaningful" and "sustained" way. Nottinghamshire Police is investigating the trust for potential offences of corporate manslaughter over deaths related to maternity services at its hospitals.

Government Response

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: "This government remains committed to improving maternity safety. The Ockenden review will provide important learnings to help us ensure they are safe and equitable for every family. The voices of those who have been harmed or bereaved will always be central to this work."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration