Activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla have accused the Israeli military of beatings, sexual assault, and rape while they were in detention. Israeli forces arrested 430 people on 50 ships in international waters on Tuesday, halting a humanitarian mission to bring aid to Gaza. The handling of the flotilla has drawn international criticism, particularly after far-right Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video mocking detainees bound with zip-ties. Now released, the activists have made serious allegations of abuse, which Israel strongly denies.
Allegations of Abuse
Catriona Graham, a 37-year-old Irish activist and co-ordinator of the mission, told The Independent that the group has received multiple reports of mistreatment. “We have had at least 15 reports so far of sexual assaults and more than 30 reports of broken bones,” she said, though final numbers are pending as activists remain separated. At least one person was still in surgery due to injuries as of last night.
Luca Poggi, an Italian economist detained on the flotilla, said upon arrival in Rome: “We were stripped, thrown to the ground, kicked. Many of us were tasered, some were sexually assaulted, and some were denied access to a lawyer.”
Sabrina Charik, who helped organize the return of 37 French citizens, told Reuters that five French participants were hospitalized in Turkey, some with broken ribs or fractured vertebrae. Some made detailed accusations of sexual violence, including rape. In an Instagram post by an activist group, French national Adrien Jouen showed bruises across his back and forearms.
Israel’s Denial
Israel denied the claims. “The allegations raised are false and entirely without factual basis,” an Israeli prison service spokesperson said. “All prisoners and detainees are held in accordance with the law, with full regard for their basic rights and under the supervision of professional and trained prison staff. Medical care is provided according to professional medical judgment and in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines.”
Hillel Newman, Israeli ambassador to Australia, also rejected claims of abuse against eleven Australians. “Out of the 400-plus people that were on the flotilla, no one was harmed,” he told the ABC on Thursday, claiming activists were handled with “great sensitivity.”
International Outcry
The allegations add to pressure on Israeli authorities to explain their treatment of detainees, highlighted earlier by Ben-Gvir’s video. Graham was seen shouting “Free Palestine” at the minister, who taunted prisoners at a processing centre. “They had a line of commandos between about 10 of us and them and a ring more of military around him,” she said. “There was just no way to let him walk by and have us be in silence while he's gloating.”
After the interaction, Graham says she was dragged along the ground into isolation, forced to lie face-down while zip-tied, as eight men discussed what to do with her. She has since been treated for bruising and swelling. Graham noted a marked escalation in violence from her last flotilla trip in 2025, claiming they were told: “You have words, we have weapons.”
She says she saw a fellow activist shot with a rubber bullet, another punched, and others dragged and shoved repeatedly. The group plans to sue Israel for alleged war crimes and violations of international law. “What they are doing to the Palestinians is far worse,” Graham said. “They're left in detention and isolation, sometimes in dark underground cells, with no support or warm physical contact, all while knowing their family and friends are threatened.”
The on-camera treatment has been condemned internationally, including by British Home Secretary Yvette Cooper and even Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “The way that Minister Ben-Gvir dealt with the flotilla activists is not in line with Israel’s values and norms,” Netanyahu said. “I have instructed the relevant authorities to deport the provocateurs as soon as possible.”



