An eco-fashion designer has lost her £6m court fight with King Charles' private charity after claiming her business world “disintegrated” following the charity's withdrawal from a celebrity fundraiser.
Background of the Case
Amanda Navaian, founder of luxury eco handbag company Marici London and a self-professed admirer of the King and his green values, sued the King Charles III Charitable Trust. She claimed she was left psychologically scarred and lost millions in revenue after the charity cancelled a collaborative project involving a launch dinner and promotional T-shirt venture for the monarch’s Coronation Food Project.
Ms Navaian, who had been personally introduced to the King and showed him her sustainable handbag during the project, alleged that the collapse of the venture left her unable to work for a significant period. She sued the charity, along with FareShare, the UK’s leading food redistribution charity, and Dori Dana-Haeri, chair of the development committee for the Coronation Food Project, for a total of £6m.
Allegations and Court Ruling
Ms Navaian alleged breach of contract and misrepresentation over the plans for the launch dinner, which she said was to be a celebrity and influencer event curated by Princess Beatrice's stylist Olivia Buckingham, and the scrapped T-shirt line. However, Mr Justice Mansfield at London's High Court dismissed her claims against the King's charity and Ms Dana-Haeri, and most of her claim against FareShare.
The judge ruled that Ms Navaian failed to prove a binding oral contract was reached during a Zoom meeting in April 2024. He also dismissed her claims for unlawful interference with economic relations related to the last-minute cancellation of the dinner at CLAP Knightsbridge, noting that the cancellation was due to a falling out between Ms Navaian and the restaurant, during which she referred to CLAP management as “thieves” in a phone call with a charity representative.
The judge further commented that parts of the alleged contract, such as promises of endorsement and elevated standing, were “highly unlikely to have been expressly agreed” and were more likely Ms Navaian’s aspirations.
Ms Navaian's Background and Claims
Ms Navaian, 43, with 20 years of marketing experience, founded Marici London in 2020, describing it as the world’s first handbag brand to combine luxury style with sustainable leather alternatives. She told the court she was drawn to the Coronation Food Project due to her admiration for King Charles and his values.
She approached the charity in April 2024, proposing a fundraising T-shirt range and a dinner at CLAP. During the process, she met the King and showed him her handbag. She claimed a deal was agreed orally on April 29, 2024, but in July 2024, CLAP postponed the event indefinitely after a disagreement over alcohol provision.
Ms Navaian said the cancellation caused her eco-system to fall apart, leading to loss of potential sales and an inability to work. She sought £6m in compensation for breach of contract, misrepresentation, and unlawful interference.
Defence and Judgment
Andrew MacLeod, representing the defendants, argued the case was “bound to fail” and the £6m claim was “unparticularised, incoherent and speculative.” Mr Justice Mansfield agreed, striking out most claims but allowing a small part against FareShare for potential reimbursement of up to £25,000 in expenses.
The judge concluded there was no realistic prospect of establishing a binding contract or unlawful interference, as the defendants were entitled to end their participation without contractual obligation.



