Sex offences cases against former DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson and his wife Lady Eleanor Donaldson will run together, a judge has ruled.
Neither Jeffrey nor Eleanor Donaldson were present in court for the ruling at Newry Crown Court on Thursday.
Judge Paul Ramsey confirmed that both sets of proceedings will begin on May 26.
Background of the Case
The judge had earlier ruled that Eleanor Donaldson is unfit to be tried after hearing medical evidence. She is now set to face a trial of the facts – a process that tests the evidence in the case but cannot result in her being criminally convicted.
The judge had previously heard legal submissions on whether that trial of the facts should run alongside the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson or as separate proceedings at a different time.
Judge's Ruling
Delivering his ruling, the judge said: “The interests of justice require that this case be progressed in a manner that is fair to all parties, but also as expediously as such fairness permits.
“Accordingly I rule that the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson and the trial of the facts of Eleanor Donaldson be held simultaneously and the case will commence on Tuesday next, the 26th of May.”
Neither Jeffrey nor Eleanor Donaldson were present in court for the ruling. They were not required to attend.
Details of the Charges
Prior to Thursday’s proceedings, the trial of Jeffrey Donaldson, 63, had been listed to start on May 26. He has pleaded not guilty to 18 alleged offences.
The charges include one count of rape and allegations of indecent assault and gross indecency, spanning a time period between 1985 and 2008, involving two alleged victims.
Eleanor Donaldson, 60, of Dublinhill Road, Dromore, has denied charges of aiding and abetting.
Proceedings had already been delayed twice due to medical issues related to her.
Next Steps
Prosecuting barrister Fiona O’Kane KC told the court on Thursday that it was hoped that a jury could be sworn on May 26 and the proceedings commenced the following day.
Jeffrey Donaldson, a former long-standing MP for Lagan Valley, was arrested and charged at the end of March 2024. He resigned as DUP leader and was suspended from the party after the allegations emerged.
Weeks before his arrest, he had led the DUP back into devolved government at Stormont after a two-year boycott of the powersharing institutions.



