First Minister John Swinney has urged Celtic fans to behave ahead of the team’s appearance in the Scottish Cup final, following disorder that marred their league title celebrations.
Background of the Disorder
The side will play Dunfermline at Hampden in the final game of the domestic season. However, the buildup has been overshadowed by scenes of violence after hundreds of fans invaded the pitch when Celtic won the league on Saturday. Thousands then descended on the Trongate area of Glasgow, where some clashed with police and officers were injured.
The incidents were condemned across the political spectrum, with then justice secretary Angela Constance – who has since moved to the health brief – telling MSPs that no punishment was off the table.
Swinney’s Appeal
Speaking to the Press Association on Thursday, Mr Swinney urged fans to “desist”.
“There is absolutely no justification for any form of disorder or violence in and around a football match, or in any other circumstance in our society,” he said. “So the events of last weekend were appalling and they cannot be repeated.
“So I simply say to the minority of Celtic fans that were involved in the disorder last weekend to desist in being involved in that violence, to act like all the other Celtic fans who simply celebrated the football and to ensure that there is not the disorder that took place last week.
“Of course, we will engage as a government with the city council and the football authorities in trying to take whatever steps can be taken to try to avoid a repeat of last Saturday’s unacceptable events.”
Potential Fan Zone Discussions
Following the disorder – which saw two officers seriously injured – calls were made to create a fan zone for supporters to celebrate their team’s wins, given the regular Celtic celebrations that bring disruption to the Trongate after a win.
Glasgow City Council, however, rejected the suggestions out of hand, suggesting it “simply isn’t credible”, despite the Scottish Government disagreeing. Asked if talks were ongoing about creating such areas, the First Minister said: “Ministers will be in contact with the football authorities to try and advance some of these issues.”
The Scottish Government has expressed its commitment to working with the council and football authorities to prevent further incidents, ensuring that the upcoming cup final can be enjoyed safely by all supporters.



