DUP leader Gavin Robinson has welcomed a “step back” from Sinn Féin over warnings on the state of powersharing government.
There was fresh speculation around the stability of the devolved institutions following comments by Sinn Féin senator Conor Murphy at the end of July that powersharing was in a “precarious place”. He also stated that the DUP “don’t have the political will to make it work”.
The DUP at the time accused Sinn Féin of “inserting instability” into the situation.
Change in Position
Since then, First Minister Michelle O’Neill has stated that she has “no intention” of bringing down powersharing institutions.
The Stormont Executive has yet to agree a budget for the current financial year, with parties around the table calling for further funding from the UK Government.
Fresh Assembly elections are due to take place next year. The current Assembly was restored in 2020 following a two-year suspension, the latest in a number of occasions that the powersharing institutions have been collapsed.
Positive Step
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Mr Robinson said he welcomed that Sinn Féin “seemed to have stepped back somewhat” from comments made by Mr Murphy outside Hillsborough Castle in July.
“That’s positive because nobody across Northern Ireland seemed to think it was beneficial that they were apparently threatening the institutions, were threatening devolution,” he said.
“We want to see devolution work. There have been challenges around delivering good government in Northern Ireland. That doesn’t mean that our aspiration for the people of Northern Ireland doesn’t continue.
“We do want to see good delivery of public services no matter how challenging that is, and that is challenging at times in a multi-party Executive.
“But the answer to that isn’t to walk away, threaten to walk away or throw the dummies out of the pram – it’s to sit down and work, and work hard in everyone’s collective interest.”



