Neighbours Witness Suspect Flee After Louisiana Shooting of Eight Children
Neighbours of Shamar Elkins, the 31-year-old suspect accused of killing eight children aged one to 12 in a horrific shooting in Louisiana, have described the chilling moment he was seen running from the house after the attack. The incident, which unfolded early Sunday morning in Shreveport, marks the deadliest mass shooting in the United States in over two years.
Details of the Tragedy
According to police reports, Shamar Elkins allegedly shot and killed seven of his own children and wounded their mother, as well as killing another child, bringing the total number of victims to ten people shot. Two women survived the ordeal, with one suffering life-threatening injuries, reportedly from a gunshot to the head. Police spokesperson Chris Bordelon stated that Elkins shot the mother first before turning his weapon on the children.
The shooting occurred at one address in Shreveport, where the majority of the victims were found. After the massacre, Elkins drove approximately a quarter of a mile to Harrison Street, where he was involved in a high-speed police chase following a carjacking. He then proceeded to a third location, where he was shot and killed by law enforcement officers.
Eyewitness Accounts
Liza Demming, a neighbour living two houses down from the scene, reported that her security camera captured video of the suspect running away, accompanied by the sound of two gunshots. "That’s pretty much all I saw, was him running out of the house and the cars leaving," she said. Demming later went outside and discovered the covered body of a child on the home’s roof, adding that she did not know the gunman’s name but recognized him as "the dad that comes over here," noting he had been with the children just days prior.
Pastor Marty T. Johnson Sr., of the nearby St. Gabriel Community Baptist Church, who owns one of the homes where the shootings took place, mentioned that a tenant had rented the property to the family, but he had no direct dealings with them. "I don’t really know them, I really don’t," he said. "I do plan on having a prayer vigil for the family, and anything I can do, with so many children, to help them bury the children, I’m going to do so."
Investigation and Response
Louisiana State Police have been called in by Shreveport police to assist with the investigation. In a statement, state police confirmed that no officers were harmed during the pursuit into Bossier City on Sunday morning. They are urging anyone with pictures, video, or information to come forward and share it with detectives.
Detectives have expressed confidence that the shooting was "entirely a domestic incident," highlighting the personal nature of the tragedy. Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry and US House Speaker Mike Johnson, who hails from Shreveport, issued separate statements expressing heartbreak and praising law enforcement for their swift response. "We’re holding the victims, their families and loved ones, and our Shreveport community close in our thoughts and prayers during this incredibly difficult time," Speaker Johnson said.
The community is now grappling with the aftermath of this devastating event, as authorities continue to piece together the full details of what led to such a tragic loss of young lives.



