Asylum Seeker Camp to Stay Until 2030 Despite 12-Month Promise
Asylum Camp to Stay Until 2030 Despite 12-Month Promise

A camp housing up to 600 asylum seekers in Crowborough, East Sussex, is reportedly set to remain open until 2030, despite previous government assurances that it would operate for no longer than 12 months. Council leaders claim they have uncovered documents revealing a secret agreement between the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office to extend the use of the former Army training camp.

Secret Deal Revealed

Wealden District Council stated on Wednesday that court papers showed the two government departments had agreed to allow the camp to remain open until 2030. This contradicts repeated promises from the government that the facility was temporary and would close within a year. The first of up to 600 single male migrants arrived in January, sparking weekly protests from local residents.

Council and Community Reaction

Councillor Michael Lunn expressed fury, stating, "We have been lied to from the beginning. Residents are furious." He claimed the Home Office was extending the camp's lifespan to recoup costs, which he said were four times higher than using hotels. He added that Crowborough's house prices have dropped, local shops are suffering, and the town risks becoming a ghost town.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Campaign group Crowborough Shield also claimed the Home Office had confirmed permission until 2030. Kim Bailey, leading a legal battle against the camp, said, "We've always known this was never going to be for 12 months." Rachel Millward, leader of Wealden District Council, criticised the Home Office's handling, calling it "disastrous" with a "shocking lack of communication."

Background

The site, located within the protected Ashdown Forest, was designated for asylum seeker accommodation last October. School-age cadets were ordered to leave in December due to safety concerns. The first migrants moved in on January 22. The Home Office stated no decision had been made on extending the camp's use, but the council insists the documents prove otherwise.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration