Monica Lennon has not made it onto the ballot in the race to succeed Anas Sarwar as the leader of Scottish Labour, with two contenders in the running.
The former MSP, who described the post as the hardest job in British politics, stepped down last month to join the House of Lords and be part of Andy Burnham’s Government.
His decision to quit just over two months after Scottish Labour suffered its worst Holyrood election result has angered some party members.
Two candidates qualify
After nominations closed at 10am on Monday, Scottish Labour confirmed that Scottish finance spokesperson Michael Marra and Joe Fagan, a former council leader who was elected as an MSP for the South of Scotland in May, have met the threshold required to be eligible for the ballot.
Ms Lennon, who lost her seat at Holyrood in May, and takes up the list place vacated by Lord Sarwar, had hoped to run, but did not have the necessary support.
Speaking after the ballot closed, she said the party is “stuck in the past” and not listening to all of its members.
Candidates needed to have the support of at least three MSPs, three MPs and two trade unions to make it on to the ballot.
Lennon hits out
In a statement, Ms Lennon said: “Scottish Labour is stuck in the past. We are not listening to all of our members, the wider movement that built us or the millions of Scots who won’t vote for us.
“This leadership contest should have been a wide debate, rooted in courage, humility and the imagination to become a modern political party for workers and working class communities in Scotland.
“Our values mean nothing without vision, conviction and committed action.
“We must be a party where people can believe in fair work and a healthy planet; where women’s rights and LGBTQ rights are a shared struggle; where engaging in debate about Scotland’s place in the UK and the global community is a strength, not a weakness.”
She added: “The soul-searching continues but my message to the leadership candidates is this: Scotland’s young people deserve a Scottish Labour Party who will stand up to billionaires and the wealthy elite.
“Their future is on the line. Our planet is burning and hope is fading. Punching down on trans people and other minorities is not acceptable. Do better, lead with decency and act with courage.
“Then, and only then, will there be a viable Scottish Labour Party worthy of the support of the people of Scotland.”
Contest timeline
A series of hustings is planned, with voting to get under way on August 28.
Members then have until September 17 to complete their ballots, with the result declared on Saturday September 19.
Mr Fagan said: “I’m standing because Scottish Labour needs to be bold again and because working people need a party that is firmly on their side.
“As this contest moves into its next phase, I want to thank every member, trade unionist and affiliate who has backed our campaign and helped us make the case for change.
“This campaign is about more than understanding what went wrong. It is about what Labour does next. It is about respecting work, backing our communities and giving working people real power over the future, not asking them simply to live with decisions made elsewhere.
“I want to rebuild Scottish Labour as the party of the working people of Scotland, rooted in our communities, serious about using power to change lives and ambitious enough to make Scotland’s future belong to the people who work, care, build, teach and keep our country going.
“That is the argument I will keep making throughout this contest, and if you share that vision, I hope you’ll join my campaign to change our party.”
Mr Marra previously said the next leader had to “renew” the party and “rediscover its moral purpose”.
He said that the contest must find the candidate best able to “bring the party together” and “galvanise that movement”, warning supporters: “If we don’t change, we’ll be here again in five years. And how’s that going to feel?”



