The United States and Iran are on the verge of finalising a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the ongoing war, according to regional officials who spoke on condition of anonymity. The breakthrough follows signals from Tehran that differences are narrowing, after Pakistan's army chief held further talks in the Iranian capital. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio informed journalists in India that 'there's been some progress made' and that 'there may be news later today.'
Key Developments in Negotiations
Two officials and a diplomat, who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the discussions, expressed hope that a final decision on the Pakistan-prepared draft could be reached within 48 hours as both sides review the text. They highlighted the significant roles played by US Vice President JD Vance and envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner in bridging remaining gaps. Qatar also contributed by sending a senior official to Tehran to bolster Pakistan's mediation efforts.
Despite the optimism, both Iran and the United States have reiterated their core positions and warned of the risks should attacks resume. Iran's state TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as describing the draft as a 'framework agreement.' He added: 'We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed, and ultimately a final agreement is reached.'
Strait of Hormuz and Nuclear Issues
Baghaei confirmed that the Strait of Hormuz is among the topics under discussion. In a meeting on May 23, 2026, Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian received Pakistan's Army Chief Syed Asim Munir in Tehran. Meanwhile, Iran's official IRNA news agency quoted Baghaei as saying that positions have moved closer in recent days. 'Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences,' he stated. 'We will have to wait and see what happens over the next three or four days.'
Baghaei clarified that nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations, as Tehran prioritises ending the war before addressing its nuclear programme, which has long been a source of international tension. 'Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,' he said. He added that lifting sanctions on Tehran 'has explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position.'
US Stance and Iranian Warning
Secretary Rubio, speaking in New Delhi, stated: 'Even as I speak to you now, there is some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple of days, we may have something to say.' He reiterated the US position that Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon and must surrender its highly enriched uranium, and that the Strait of Hormuz must remain open.
After meeting with Pakistan's Field Marshal Asim Munir, Iran's parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said that Iran has rebuilt its military assets following weeks of war and a fragile ceasefire. State TV reported Qalibaf, who led historic face-to-face talks with the US last month, as warning that if US President Donald Trump resumes attacks, the result would be 'more crushing and more bitter' than at the start of the war.
Trump earlier indicated he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because 'serious negotiations' were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. He has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.
Background of the Conflict
The US and Israel initiated the war with attacks on February 28, cutting short negotiations with Iran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for the region's oil, natural gas, and fertiliser, causing global economic disruption. The US subsequently blockaded Iranian ports, with the US Central Command reporting on Saturday that US forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began on April 13.
During his visit to Tehran, Pakistan's army chief also met with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian, and other senior officials. The two officials noted that Islamabad continues efforts to arrange a second round of direct negotiations. It remains unclear whether Munir met with Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who heads Iran's paramilitary Revolutionary Guard and has become a major figure in formulating Iran's tough stance in talks.



