Iran is set to hold crucial talks with FIFA this month regarding their participation in the 2026 World Cup, following a dramatic policy reversal by US President Donald Trump. The Iranian national team is scheduled to play all three of their Group G matches on American soil in June, despite the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
Delegation to Visit FIFA Headquarters
The Iranian Football Federation will send a delegation to FIFA's headquarters in Switzerland to address logistical and security concerns. With just 46 days until Iran's opening match against New Zealand in Los Angeles, time is of the essence. Mehdi Taj, president of the Iranian Football Federation, acknowledged on Friday that "we have many issues to discuss." Taj was notably absent from the FIFA Congress in Canada on Thursday after being denied entry at the border due to his affiliation with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
FIFA Sets Deadline for Talks
FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom has set a May 20 deadline for the Iranian delegation to arrive in Switzerland for discussions, as reported by the Associated Press. "Our position is that we will soon have a meeting with FIFA," Taj told Iranian media. Iran plans to base themselves in Tucson, Arizona, while in the United States, ahead of two matches in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.
Trump's Change of Heart
President Trump had previously stated it would not be "appropriate" for Iran to compete, citing safety concerns. However, he reversed his stance on Thursday after being briefed by FIFA President Gianni Infantino. "You know what, let them play," Trump said. "Gianni is fantastic, he's a friend of mine, he talked about it, I said, 'you do whatever you want.'" Trump also inquired about the quality of the Iranian team, adding, "Do they have a good team?"
Infantino's Call for Unity
At the FIFA Congress, Infantino emphasized the unifying power of sport. "Of course, Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup 2026, and of course Iran will play in the United States of America. The reason for that is very simple... because we have to unite. We have to bring people together. It is my responsibility," he stated.
Ongoing Tensions
Despite a ceasefire in place since early April, tensions between the US and Iran remain high, with the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz still ongoing. Trump expressed his dissatisfaction on Friday, saying, "We just had a conversation with Iran. Let's see what happens. But, I would say that I am not happy."



