A former top-ranking Navy commander has revealed that he believes President Donald Trump is preparing the military for renewed combat operations in Iran following a shaky ceasefire deal last month.
Background on the Conflict
The US-Israeli-led military operation in Iran has dragged on since the end of February, leaving gas prices surging due to the Strait of Hormuz's closure and cities devastated across the Middle East. A two-week ceasefire deal was reached in April and later extended, but failed negotiations have reignited speculation that strikes may continue.
Lippold's Analysis
Retired US Navy Commander Kirk Lippold told Fox News on Friday night that he believes renewed combat operations are on the horizon, defiantly declaring that 'it's a matter of not if, but when.' 'President Trump right now, I think, is giving the United States military that opportunity - to rearm, refuel and be ready for combat operations,' he said.
Lippold said that Admiral Cooper, the senior US military officer overseeing the Iran War, has briefed Trump, signaling the potential renewal of military strikes. 'At the end of the day, I think that the Iranians understand that we are going to now take down their economy and potentially take down their economic future,' he continued. 'And what we need to do is create the conditions for the Iranian people to once again rise up.'
Strategic Approach
Lippold said he believes the US military should catch Iran 'flat footed' by neglecting to make an announcement about combat operations. He added that increased military action in the region may push Iranian leaders to come to the table on nuclear negotiations or surrender.
When discussing the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran has asserted its dominance over during the war, Lippold said it was 'stunning' that America's European partners have not stepped in. The former commander called on the international community to assist the US in reopening the strait to stop the current energy disaster.
Lippold's Background
Lippold previously served as the commanding officer of the USS Cole and was in charge when al-Qaeda terrorists initiated a suicide terrorist attack on the ship, which killed 17 American sailors. His recent analysis on Fox coincides with news that the Trump administration was preparing a fresh round of military strikes, sources told CBS on Friday.
Trump's Signals
The president ominously announced on Truth Social that he would not be attending his son's wedding this weekend, citing a 'circumstance pertaining to government.' He also canceled plans to golf at his Bedminster Golf Club in New Jersey.
Diplomatic Efforts
Reuters also reported on Friday evening that a Qatari negotiating team had arrived in Tehran to 'reach a final deal that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran,' a source familiar with the negotiations told the outlet. Pakistani officials have served as the official mediators in the war, but Qatar has served as a key US ally since the operations began.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio did not confirm Qatar's involvement while talking to reporters, but said: 'Obviously other countries have interests, because especially Gulf countries that are, you know, in the middle of all this - they have their own situation going. And we talk to all of them. I would just say that the primary country we've been working with on all of this, is Pakistan, and that remains the case.'
Rubio met with NATO allies in Sweden this past week, where he discussed ongoing negotiation efforts. World leaders had conversations about reopening the strait by military force, which Rubio referred to as a 'Plan B' if Iran did not do so itself. Rubio characterized negotiations as signaling progress, but cautioned that diplomats were 'not there yet.'
Key Demands
The US has said that key pillars for a deal are reopening the Strait of Hormuz and ending Iran's nuclear capacity. Iran has stood firm since the start of the war, claiming that they have a right to the uranium used to develop a nuclear stockpile.
Esmaeil Baghaei, a spokesperson for Iran's foreign ministry, said on Friday that, at this stage, negotiators would not be discussing nuclear issues, Iran's state broadcaster reported. 'For now, our focus is on ending the war,' he said. Bagheaei has also said that Tehran had received Washington's latest proposal and was reviewing it.
Rubio told reporters that the US expects to receive a response through Pakistani mediators. Trump said on Wednesday that he would give Iran 'a couple of days' to respond. As negotiations unfold, House Republicans have decided to abandon legislation limiting Trump's authority to conduct military operations in Iran. The Daily Mail has reached out to the White House and the Pentagon for comment.



