Iran Rebuilds Military Capacity Faster Than Expected During Ceasefire
Iran Rebuilds Military Faster Than Expected During Ceasefire

US intelligence reports indicate that Iran has been rebuilding its military capacity much faster than anticipated during a six-week ceasefire with the US and Israel. The pause in hostilities allowed Tehran to restart drone production, replace missile sites, and revive its manufacturing capabilities, according to four US officials who spoke to CNN.

Intelligence Findings

“The Iranians have exceeded all timelines the IC [the intelligence community] had for reconstitution,” one official stated. Top Iranian diplomat and parliamentary speaker Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf confirmed on Wednesday that the country used the opportunity to “rebuild” its strength and military capability.

The US reports attribute Iran’s success to two main factors: continued support from Russia and Ukraine, and the fact that the US and Israel did not inflict as much damage as originally hoped, according to a source familiar with the assessments.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Reconstitution Timelines

Some US intelligence estimates suggest that Iran could fully reconstitute its drone attack capabilities within six months, though production times for individual components vary. Two sources familiar with US intelligence assessments told CNN that China has continued to provide Iran with components for building missiles throughout the conflict, although this may have been curtailed by the US blockade.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused China of supporting Iran with components, but Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun denied the allegation, calling it “not based on facts.”

Pentagon Response

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell told CNN that “America’s military is the most powerful in the world and has everything it needs to execute at the time and place of the President’s choosing.” He added, “We have executed multiple successful operations across combatant commands while ensuring the U.S. military possesses a deep arsenal of capabilities to protect our people and our interests.”

Damage Assessment

A previous CNN investigation revealed that Iranian attacks damaged a majority of US bases in the Middle East. The analysis corroborates reports by The Independent that at least 60 per cent of Iran’s missiles survived US-Israeli attacks, while nuclear facilities remained largely unharmed, according to sources.

“Whatever anyone is saying in public, we estimate that the Iranians have at least 60 per cent of their missile capability. How else can you explain, for example, how they can continue to attack Gulf nations with missiles and drones?” said a senior NATO source in Europe.

Earlier this month, US intelligence showed that Iran retained a substantial amount of its missile capabilities, according to a report in the New York Times. It found that Iran had restored operational access to 30 of the 33 missile sites it maintains along the Strait of Hormuz, contradicting President Donald Trump’s claims that Iran’s navy is “lying at the bottom of the sea, completely obliterated.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration