Prince William was reportedly with King Charles when news of Prince Harry's return broke on Wednesday evening. The pair were already at Balmoral in Scotland together at the time, according to The Times.
News of the Sussexes' return became public on Wednesday evening, though Charles was informed by his younger son three days prior. William was likewise given advance notice. However, sources maintain the subject never came up when the King and Queen met Harry and Meghan at Highgrove in early July. Other senior family members were reportedly unaware of their relocation plans.
William 'furious' over return
William is reportedly displeased and even "furious" at news of his brother's return, according to sources. Pre-existing tensions were further fractured after Harry wrote scandalous claims in his memoir, Spare, including allegations that William had physically attacked him.
"I can't see a world in which they would be welcoming them back with open arms. But you would anticipate that the King will have spoken to William about this if he was made aware," said HELLO!'s Royal Editor Emily Nash in their podcast. "We believe the Waleses were made aware beforehand. They didn't find out at the same time as the rest of the world. So they've had time to process this."
King's priorities remain clear
However, Charles has reportedly made it clear that the Prince of Wales and the future of the royal family remain the priority. It is understood he insisted the work of the institution will not change and the duke and duchess will remain private individuals, which sits in line with the late Queen's belief there is no "half-in, half-out" to royal duties.
Despite the tension, the 77-year-old is said to be naturally pleased about the opportunity to see more of his family in a private and personal capacity.
Balmoral gathering continues
The royal family are currently in Balmoral for their summer holidays. However, the retreat has now been dubbed the 'Sussex summit' after it was interrupted with the news. Prince William, Princess Kate and their three children travelled to Balmoral earlier this week, and other royals have been spotted heading to the address.
On Friday morning, Princess Anne, Zara and Mike Tindall, Prince Edward and James, Earl of Wessex, were pictured driving into the estate.



