Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's return to the UK later this month may be short-lived, with sources suggesting their stay could last as little as six months. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will reside in a non-royal residence outside London and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.
Children start school in September
Archie and Lilibet are expected to begin at their new schools in early September. The reason for the couple's decision remains unclear, as their representatives have not commented on the latest developments.
However, new reports indicate the Sussexes' time in the UK may not be prolonged. A source told The Sunday Times: "It'll be an extended period of time. It could be six months, it could be a year, it could be more. I don't think even they know yet."
Decision made last week
The newspaper reported that Harry and Meghan made their decision only a week ago, after their children's school places were confirmed, despite having discussed relocation for a couple of years. The source added: "They might suddenly go, 'Why don't we try Canada for a while?' They love Canada. 'Why don't we try Australia?' It's one of the great things about having left the institution."
It is understood the King was the first person they told. Charles was in Balmoral for the annual family gathering in Scotland, joined by the Prince of Wales.
Family ties and estrangement
The source explained: "The stars aligned: it's perfect timing in terms of the children's schooling, there appeared to be a good acting opportunity here [for Meghan] and also the draw of family not just being closer to the King, but the Spencers, with whom Harry is very close."
"He and his brother are not speaking, but there are other members of the Royal Family he remains close to." While the monarch is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family, the heir does not share that sentiment. William is estranged from Harry after the latter levelled accusations against the prince, Kate, the King and Queen Camilla since the Megxit crisis of 2020. A source told the newspaper the brothers' relationship is "in cold storage and not coming out anytime soon."



