Meghan Markle has reportedly been dropped from Guy Ritchie's Netflix series The Gentleman after public backlash to the casting was deemed "too fierce".
Reported removal from the series
Journalist Tina Brown, who formerly edited Tatler and The New Yorker, took to X to announce that the Duchess of Sussex had been removed from the popular Netflix series. Brown wrote: "Newsflash: I have heard that Meghan Markle's role in Guy Ritchie's Netflix series The Gentlemen is OFF. Public backlash was too fierce", adding that "this does not bode well for Meghan's acting comeback in the UK."
Meghan's appearance in The Gentleman was never confirmed by either Netflix or her representatives.
Return to the UK
The rumoured U-turn on the actor-turned-royal comes after she and her husband Prince Harry announced their return to the UK, with multiple reasons being suggested for the decision, including this reported new role.
Markle, 45, was most famous for portraying Rachel Zane in Suits prior to her marriage to Harry in 2018. She appeared in more than 100 episodes of the programme before declaring her retirement as she began her journey within the Royal Family.
When stepping away from her acting profession, the former Tig blogger remarked: "I don't see it as giving anything up, I just see it as a change. It's a new challenge."
Future plans and family moves
Bronte Coy of News.com.au said: "What they want to do, their style of modelling moving forward, is to do the commercial things so that that then funds the other side, so obviously this is not going to be a burden on taxpayers."
Bronte added: "People close to Harry said that he was very keen to continue this style of tour. Now that obviously was going to encompass the UK."
Prince Harry and Meghan are believed to be looking at moving into a private, non-royal residence outside London, with the pair's children, seven-year-old Prince Archie and five-year-old Princess Lilibet, enrolled to start at school in the UK in September.
King Charles is believed to have been told of the move on Sunday, while the BBC reports that at the moment there are no current plans for either Prince Harry or Meghan to return to their roles as working Royals.



