Ken Bruce has revealed how Steve Wright reacted after his BBC Radio 2 show was taken off air. Wright, a long-serving BBC star who began his career in the 1970s, saw his daily show come to an end in 2022. He claimed earlier that year that the head of Radio 2 had told him they wanted "something different" for his slot. He stayed on air with his Sunday morning programme and went on to launch the Serious Jockin' podcast. He died two years later in 2024, aged 69. A ruptured stomach ulcer was given as the cause of death.
Bruce's sympathy for Wright
Scottish radio legend Bruce also left Radio 2 in 2023 after more than three decades. He says that even big audience draws like him and Wright were constantly "at the mercy of programmers and bosses".
Bruce shed light on what Wright thought about his exit, telling The Mail's Weekend magazine: "I was very sorry for Steve when he came off daytime. I think they gave him a decent amount of warning, but he was not pleased."
Criticism of radio bosses
Bruce, who now works for Greatest Hits Radio, claims those in charge are busy "looking for the next big thing" and don't see that "there's still plenty of life left in the current big thing". He suggested it wasn't necessarily the same across the pond, pointing to US shows that have been on the air for "donkey's years". By contrast, he noted that ITV had been revamping "old formats like Bullseye".
Wright's on-air farewell
At the time of Wright's departure, he addressed listeners in an on-air speech. He said: "We tried to make the show unique and just be good company. I can only hope that we've done that some of the time. I'm also really aware there are more things to think about than a radio show ending so I don't want to be too self-indulgent."
He previously said he understood the radio head's decision and declared that he was "extremely lucky" to have enjoyed such a career and had "never taken it for granted". Wright also said in a statement: "There is no truth in the rumour I'm planning to open my own artisan bakery, and I've turned down twice the chance to open my own nail bar. So it's all good. Please do listen to Scott Mills and Sara Cox when they take over afternoons. They are both brilliant broadcasters and I truly wish them well when they start."
In 2024, Wright's cause of death was attributed to acute peritonitis and a perforated gastric peptic ulcer. He'd hosted programmes on both BBC Radio 1 and 2 and also Top of the Pops. He was awarded an honour for services to radio as part of the 2023 New Year Honours list.



