Meghan Markle Reportedly Offered Major Acting Role in UK Return with Harry
Meghan Markle Offered Acting Role in UK Return with Harry

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly set to return to the UK this September, and the reason behind the move has allegedly come to light less than 24 hours after the announcement was made.

It emerged on Wednesday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are coming back to Britain with their children, Archie and Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor, who have been enrolled in a British school. King Charles was only told of the move on Sunday, it is understood, and until now the motivation behind the decision had remained unclear.

Meghan Offered Role in British Project

It has since been reported that the move was prompted after Meghan received an offer to take part in an upcoming British-based project. News.com.au, citing entertainment sources, reports that the Duchess has been offered an undisclosed role in the upcoming project. Further details about the position are yet to be revealed.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The news follows reports that the couple intend to remain financially independent while continuing their commercial and charitable work, reports the Mirror. Harry is not expected to undertake official royal duties. They are retaining their home in Montecito, California, as well as their holiday home in Portugal.

King Charles Informed of Move

The King, who is still living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, only three days before it was made public, but is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family both in a private and personal capacity.

However, the decision is particularly striking given Harry's previous concerns about bringing his family back to Britain as he does not automatically get taxpayer-funded security while in the UK. The Duke has spent years challenging the decision in the courts over his security arrangements after losing the protection when he ceased to be a working royal and moved overseas.

Security Arrangements Addressed

The Royal and VIP Executive Committee (Ravec), an independent body overseen by the Home Office that makes security arrangements for the Royal Family and other high-profile individuals, has previously decided while the two were not permanently living in the UK that their arrangements would be made on a case-by-case basis.

Their security arrangements will be a "private matter", Prime Minister Andy Burnham said in a statement on Thursday. He has no role in making security decisions for the royals. He said: "It's a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making."

The Home Office would not comment on the specifics of high-profile arrangements, telling the BBC in a statement that it was "long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals' security". It did say, however, that the UK's protective security system was rigorous and proportionate.

The couple's security arrangements became a point of contention after they left the country and stepped back from their royal duties in 2020. The two settled in Montecito, California with Archie, who was born in the UK, and welcomed their second child, Lilibet, some years later in 2021. During their time stateside they have employed a private security team.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration