FIFA president Gianni Infantino has been told to stay away from a youth tournament in the Dominican Republic this weekend, in the latest setback to his efforts to secure support for another term in office.
The president was informed via a letter from the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) that his presence would "undermine" the under-14 matches on the island. Infantino had been invited to the tournament before officials in the region learned of his plans to sell part of FIFA to private investors.
Plan to attract private investment sparks backlash
The proposal to invite private investment in a spin-off company to run FIFA tournaments, including the men's and women's World Cups, triggered widespread criticism and has deepened divisions within world football's governing body.
According to Sky News, CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani wrote to Infantino on Friday, saying the drama surrounding him and the media focus "will unfortunately significantly take away from the technical nature of the CFU youth competition."
He added: "I respectfully ask you in the name of football to reconsider your attendance as it will unfortunately undermine the technical nature of this important youth development activity."
Support wavers amid calls for resignation
Infantino had hoped to use the event in the Dominican Republic to shore up support among CONCACAF's Caribbean nations. Some, including St Kitts and Nevis, Grenada and Antigua and Barbuda, have already publicly expressed their support.
Montagliani is viewed by many as a potential challenger for the FIFA presidency. Infantino announced on August 1 that the World Cup private investment plan had been withdrawn, but fan groups worldwide have launched a petition calling for the president to resign.
Three continental confederations accused Infantino of "deception" last week in an open letter, citing the secretive way the plan was devised and presented. European football's governing body UEFA say they intend to boycott FIFA events having "lost confidence" in Infantino's leadership.
The Swiss, 56, still retains support in Africa and South America, but there is now even more backing for his resignation. Fans' organisations have called on him to step down, launching a petition on the Change.org website.
Fan groups demand reform
A statement on behalf of the fan organisations read: "The shameful attempt by one individual – the FIFA president himself – to sell off the World Cup to private investors exposed a betrayal football will never forget.
"Infantino's plan was stitched together in secret. Negotiated behind closed doors. Hidden from FIFA's own members and from the millions of people whose passion makes football what it is.
"A president who repeatedly betrays football and makes a mockery of our game has lost the right to lead it. For the credibility of FIFA – and for the future of the game – he must resign."
Individual fans are being encouraged to sign the petition, which already has support across all six FIFA confederations spanning continental and national fan groups.
Ronan Evain, the executive director of Football Supporters Europe (FSE), told the Press Association: "The departure of Gianni Infantino is a first and a must, but that can only have a positive impact if it's followed by some reform of the office and of governance.
"If a man can concentrate so many powers then the governance of FIFA is not fit for purpose. (FIFA) needs to start from scratch. All the reforms from 2016 have been erased or made irrelevant by Infantino.
"I think we need to be as open-minded as possible on the future of football governance and there are other models outside of football, outside of sport, that need to be looked into – the idea of rotating presidencies seems interesting."



