For the thousands of pupils receiving GCSE results in Merseyside this morning, it was hoped today would be one of joy and celebration. But for those planning to confirm their places at City of Liverpool College, it was a day spent in tears, as their future plans were plunged into uncertainty.
Earlier today (August 20), the ECHO reported on the "bombshell" news given to students at a City of Liverpool College (COLC) enrolment session, informing them A-level courses had been cancelled with immediate effect, announced without any prior notice, and just 24 hours after the college informed its staff.
The current cohort of A-level students from the academic year 2025/26, will be able to finish their studies at COLC and take exams next year. But young people expecting to start their studies in September, now face a "desperate scramble" to find alternative colleges.
Staff and students react to the decision
The ECHO was contacted by a COLC staff member on Tuesday afternoon (August 18), who spoke to us on the condition of anonymity. They told us staff had been called to a meeting by the college's leadership team, confirming the decision to cancel its A-level provision.
After the story was published, the ECHO was inundated with comments and messages about the fallout of COLC's decision, including several students, parents, and staff members at the college, who spoke to us on the condition of anonymity.
Staff told us they were furious about the COLC's decision to cancel A-level courses, and said students were in tears after receiving the news. We understand many of those who had been advised to visit other colleges, didn't have the bus fare to travel, and were panicking about what to do.
Staff added: "Students have been really distressed and understandably so, because it's a nightmare situation."
"The other huge problem is that the majority of schools and colleges are near to fully subscribed at this point, so available A-level places are severely limited. Sadly, some students don't have the grades to go somewhere else and were relying on the college. They have been badly let down today."
Students express devastation and anger
The ECHO was also contacted by students, who said staff had been brilliant with them, but who were "devastated" at today's turn of events, and furious about the college's decision.
One student told us: "There's just no way of justifying this decision, especially in the way they've told us. Why couldn't this have been done weeks ago so we had a chance to prepare and organise something else?"
"It's so disrespectful, and shows whoever's made this decision had zero care for the young people relying on them today or their futures."
One parent we spoke to was Paul whose daughter achieved excellent GCSE results this morning, and was looking forward to enrolling at the college, travelling in from Crosby to confirm her place.
In what was described as a "rollercoaster of emotions", and after a 90 minute wait, Paul's daughter was told A-level courses had been cancelled and she would have to find an alternative school or college. The family then spent the next few hours travelling around Merseyside applying for places.
Paul said his daughter had gone from feeling "elation" over her results, to "despair" and "uncertainty" around what her options would be at this late stage, just a few weeks before she was scheduled to start at COLC.
Paul said: "Thankfully, due to us driving there straight away, we've managed to get a place sorted at KGV College in Southport, and I feel for the other kids out there now still looking."
"Our daughter was offered a different course to the one she wanted, but there's no time to even think about it because you're worried the place will go. So having expected a relatively easy journey for her, taking the train into Liverpool city centre, she now has to travel all the way to Southport, take a bus etc, something we've not even thought about"
"It's hard enough being a young kid, the pressure of exams, worrying about your future, so to have this happen, at this point in the year, is just inexcusable."
Parents voice fury at the college's handling
Claire is another parent who reached out to the ECHO, and told us her son was offered a place at COLC last month. Responding to the original story in a social media comment, Claire wrote: "Students have been treated disgusting today in that place! I'm furious."
Angie is another parent who commented, writing: "Absolute s**t show. We sat for two and a half hours being told nothing. Individual students told as they got called for their appointment. Leadership only came to inform those of us waiting because it went live on the Echo!"
"We are now racing to my daughter's second choice in the hope they still have spaces on her chosen A-level subjects. Waste of everyone's time and so many students hearts broken on what is supposed to be a day of celebration."
"So badly managed by City of Liverpool College, an email beforehand would have enabled students to decide on next steps without having to go through this today."
Claire responded: "Could cry reading this. My son was so happy to get up and be there early to enrol on a course, he was told he had a place in July. Heart breaking and absolutely infuriating."
College responds to the fallout
We contacted representatives of COLC again this afternoon, and highlighted some of the experiences of pupils and parents after this morning's enrolment session.
A spokesperson tod us: "We understand that a number of students, who had previously applied to study on our year one A-level programme, will be naturally disappointed with the news that we will not offer a first-year A-level programme for the 26/27 academic year."
"By lunchtime today our Advice and Guidance, learning support and curriculum teams had met one to one with 35 students who had previously applied for this programme to offer support, guidance and alternative level 3 programmes across the college and signpost to other A-Level providers."
"Over half of these students have now enrolled on alternative qualifications within the college, our teams will continue to work with the remaining students to find an alternative programme or provider."
"As we anticipated, we have also received a number of enquiries today from students who had not previously applied to the college, but learned this morning, on receipt of their GCSE results, that their anticipated places on A-level in their current school were withdrawn."
"To ensure there is a place for these students we have increased our provision in T Level, B Tec and other level 3 qualifications to provide a technical and vocational pathway aligned to the city region skills requirements."
"Our advice and guidance and learning support teams are available across all our campuses during the enrolment period."



