Truck driver convicted of killing teen on way to Manchester concert
Truck driver convicted of killing teen en route to concert

A truck driver has been convicted of causing the death of a 19-year-old woman who was on her way to a concert in Manchester. Daniel Barlow was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving following a three-day trial at Chester Crown Court.

Crash on the M6

The court heard that on the evening of Friday, December 2, 2022, Barlow was driving a white DAF truck on the northbound carriageway of the M6, between junction 16 and 17, after completing a number of deliveries in the Birmingham area. At the same time, Chloe Williams, 19, from Dudley, was one of two passengers in a grey Volkswagen Polo being driven by her partner. The trio was travelling to a concert in Manchester.

As they approached junction 17 for Sandbach, the Polo came to a stop in lane one due to heavy traffic. Barlow, also driving in lane one, failed to react to the stationary traffic in time and collided with the rear of the VW Polo.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Failure to react

Subsequent analysis showed Barlow had been travelling at a constant speed of 55mph along the carriageway and did not attempt to stop until 0.25-0.5 seconds before the collision, despite having a clear view of the traffic ahead. The impact caused serious injuries to the occupants, and they were all taken to hospital. Sadly, despite the best efforts of all involved, Chloe later died.

The two other occupants of the Polo both sustained a number of serious injuries, including broken legs and a fractured skull. Their injuries have led to life-changing consequences for both men, including memory loss and long-lasting pain. Barlow was arrested following the collision and during questioning was unable to offer any explanation as to why he didn’t slow down prior to the collision.

Family's tribute

Following the verdict, Inspector Andrew Dennison, of the Cheshire Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: "Chloe was a bright young woman who was just about to embark on her dream career with British Airways, but her life was cut short because of the actions of Barlow. Our investigation showed that Chloe’s death was entirely preventable, Barlow had ample time to react and slow down. However, he was clearly not concentrating on his driving, and his vehicle became a deadly weapon. This case demonstrates the importance of ensuring that all road users pay full attention when driving on our roads, as just one lapse really can mean the difference between life and death."

In a statement following her death, Chloe's family said: "We have lost our beautiful girl in the most tragic way. She was about to start her dream career and has now had all that taken away." Barlow, 30, of Whitworth, Lancashire, has been bailed to be sentenced on Friday, September 25.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration