Five teenagers wearing balaclavas died in a head-on crash on the M9 in County Kildare, Ireland, on Sunday after the stolen BMW they were travelling in was driven on the wrong side of the motorway twice within minutes. The collision also left four other people seriously injured.
Crash details
The incident happened at around 3am on the M9 northbound near Castledermot, Co Kildare. Irish police (Gardai) did not pursue the car each time it was driven at oncoming traffic, but officers were aware of its movements on the M9, reports the Irish Mirror.
"Members disengaged the first time it went down the road the wrong way - and didn't get a chance to engage the second time," a source said this evening. It has also emerged that the occupants of the high-powered BMW were all wearing balaclavas or masks when it collided head-on with an innocent family's car.
Investigation and aftermath
Sources reveal that the crash scene was so devastating that gardaí initially believed only four teenagers had perished in the collision, as that number were visible within the wreckage of the BMW. It was not until late in the afternoon, when specialists moved the vehicle from the scene, that gardaí discovered the fifth body beneath the car.
Gardaí are working on the theory that the car had been stolen in Athy, Co Kildare earlier that morning. Officers had reportedly been alerted to a gang of teenagers attempting to break into cars and houses in the town during the early hours — some time before the fatal crash occurred.
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly released a strongly worded statement regarding the crash, as two separate investigations were launched into the tragedy. One inquiry into the collision itself is being conducted by An Garda Síochána, while independent policing watchdog Fiosrú is also examining the incident.
Official statements
Mr Kelly stated that the crashes highlighted just how reckless it was to drive against the flow of traffic — something young criminals are increasingly doing in the knowledge that gardaí will not pursue them. He said: "My thoughts are with those injured in this morning's collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway."
"This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong-side of the motorway is. That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves."
Fiosrú has also released a statement confirming it is conducting its own separate investigation. A spokesman said the matter had been referred to the organisation by gardai. It said: "The referral was made following a Fatal Road Traffic Collision on the M9. One of Fiosrú's on call team of investigators attended the scene and its independent investigation is ongoing."
Victims and appeals
The four occupants of the Hyundai were an extended family from Carlow who were travelling to Dublin Airport for a break. The family comprised a seven-year-old child, a woman in her 20s and two women in their 30s, all of whom were injured. "The female driver and front passenger, both aged in her 30s of the second car have been removed from the scene to Tallaght University Hospital and both remain in critical condition," gardaí said in a statement.
Gardaí confirmed this evening that five teenagers had perished in the collision. The force stated: "The bodies of 5 teenage males, all occupants of one vehicle, have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post mortems will take place. The occupants of the second vehicle, three women (two aged in their 30s, one in her 20s) and a male child all remain in hospital continuing to receive treatment for serious injuries."
Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses or road users with dashcam footage to come forward. Anyone with information is asked to contact Athy Garda Station on 01 666 6000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station.



