Prince Harry and six other claimants have been ordered to pay an initial £9.5 million to the Daily Mail's publisher after losing their High Court case last month. The Duke of Sussex was among seven household names, including Sir Elton John, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, and Elizabeth Hurley, who sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering.
ANL strongly denied the claims, which were heard at an 11-week trial in London earlier this year. Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed every claim made by the defendants on July 7.
Costs hearing and interim payment
The cases returned to the High Court for a two-day hearing on costs, during which the court was told ANL's total costs exceeded £34 million. The publisher sought an interim payment of almost £10 million from the claimants, while their lawyers offered £8 million and confirmed they had insurance covering up to £16 million.
Lawyers for the group of household names, also including David Furnish, Sadie Frost, and Sir Simon Hughes, said the interim payment should be just over £7.9 million. Mr Justice Nicklin previously said the claimants would need to pay the interim payment on August 28, adding: “They are going to be paying a sum of money that I will confirm in the judgment.”
Claimants' statement and response
The claimants' allegations included voicemail interception, landline tapping, and obtaining information through deception—claims ANL strongly denied throughout the proceedings. After their case collapsed last month, Prince Harry joined forces with Baroness Doreen Lawrence to issue a statement branding the decision a “complete and obvious whitewash”.
They insisted: “We came to court seeking justice and accountability. But we have received neither.” They continued: “The fact that this court has chosen to dismiss them represents an inconsistency which is hard to understand or reconcile with common sense, or the evidence heard in the courtroom itself. It is a complete and obvious whitewash, but sadly not altogether unexpected. However, the lengths to which the court has gone to exonerate the Mail is as shocking as it is totally unwarranted.”
Return to the UK
The confirmation of Prince Harry's legal costs comes after the surprising update that he and Meghan Markle will shortly be returning to the UK for an extended period. The couple are understood to have already secured a home in an undisclosed location and will enrol their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, in UK schools.
It was understood that King Charles was only informed of the couple's move, which is set for later this month, last Sunday. However, The Mirror reported that the Sussexes informed the UK security services several weeks before Harry's father. It remains unclear who will fund Harry and Meghan's security. The sudden move comes as Harry continues to wait for the Royal and VIP Executive Committee, known as RAVEC, to make a decision about his family's security arrangements.



