Two serving police officers and five members of the public were killed in a crash following a police pursuit in the early hours of Saturday morning. A Volkswagen Passat was travelling the wrong way down the A66 near Middlesbrough when it collided with a police vehicle going in the opposite direction.
Cleveland Police confirmed that both officers in the marked vehicle and all five occupants of the Passat were pronounced dead at the scene at 3.39am. The families of those identified have been informed and are being offered specialist support, the force added.
Investigation launched after mandatory referral
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the circumstances leading up to the fatal crash. The watchdog said officers spotted a suspicious vehicle and began a pursuit before the car entered the A66 and collided with the police car at 3.39am. An investigation was opened just after 6am on Saturday following a mandatory referral from Cleveland Police.
Anna Turley, MP for the Redcar constituency where the crash happened, said: “I am deeply saddened to hear of the fatal collision on the A66 this morning. My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives, and with everyone affected by this terrible incident. Thank you to all of our emergency services, who have worked through the night responding to this devastating incident.” She added: “We would ask everyone to avoid speculating online to respect the families and the police while they do their work at this terrible time.”
Road closed and emergency response
The A66 was closed in both directions between Normanby Road and Church Lane in Eston. Police officers manned both ends of the cordon, and the crash site was not visible from the road closures. A large white tent was erected over the scene, with multiple emergency service vehicles present. The closed section of the A66 is bordered by large industrial units to the north and is close to the major Teesworks site. Police have also put into effect a drone exclusion zone around the scene.
North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) said it had been called to a two-vehicle crash and sent 14 units, including ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, a hazardous area response team and a doctor from Great North Air Ambulance Service. A spokesperson for NEAS said: “Sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone attending, a number of patients died at the scene. We send condolences to all of those affected by such a tragic event and thank everyone for all they did to help.”
IOPC director of investigations Nicola Marfleet said: “This is a tragic incident, and my thoughts are with family and friends and all those affected, including the emergency services in attendance.” She added that investigators have been sent to start reviewing evidence, and the watchdog is cooperating with Cleveland Police to establish the circumstances of the collision.



