Two men are fighting for their lives in hospital after a double shooting in Prescot earlier today. Residents in a tranquil corner of Prescot said they were 'shocked' to witness Merseyside Police swoop on their neighbourhood park during a bright Sunday afternoon. The double shooting happened near Stadt Moers Park, off Pottery Lane, in Prescot.
Officers were summoned to the location just before 3pm. The victims, both in their 20s, were rushed to hospital where their conditions were being evaluated in the immediate wake of the incident. This evening Merseyside Police confirmed both men were in a 'critical' condition.
When the ECHO reached Pottery Lane at roughly 4.30pm, Merseyside Police had sealed off the M57 flyover bridge and a substantial police presence was evident in the vicinity. Two air ambulances were spotted departing from near the park.
Residents came out from neighbouring properties stunned to discover a double shooting had occurred on their doorstep. One woman, who resides opposite the cordon on Pottery Lane, said: 'My grandchildren were in their bedroom and shouted me saying "grandma come and see this". We saw the helicopter land then all the police tape went up. I didn't know what happened. It's shocking. It's the middle of the day on a sunny bank holiday weekend. There's kids and dog walkers always in that park and people are running around with guns.'
She added: 'Where do they even get guns from? It's so quiet and peaceful around here. There's just three houses on our street. I hope the young boys are ok.' Her neighbour said: 'We all just came out when the helicopter was here, that's all we heard.'
Forensic officers were concentrating their enquiries on what appeared to be clothing lying in the road on the flyover bridge. The main entrance to Stadt Moers Park on Pottery Lane was cordoned off, with several areas near the park's entrance also taped off by officers. A knife was also spotted on the ground at the park entrance, although it remains unclear whether it was linked to the shooting. Further inside the park, an additional cordon had been erected near the entrance off Coronation Drive.
Officers subsequently extended the cordon on Pottery Lane and remained at the scene well into the evening as they carried out their investigations into the double shooting.
Speaking this afternoon, Detective Superintendent Paul Speight said: 'Although these are the early hours of our investigation, it is absolutely vital that we gather all available evidence as soon as possible. If you saw, heard or may have captured anything on CCTV, dashcam or doorbell devices, please come forward at the earliest opportunity. Our initial assessment is this was a targeted attack on the two victims, for reasons we will establish as the investigation progresses.'
'To fire a weapon in our communities at any time is of course a concern but to do so in a residential area on a Sunday afternoon is beyond comprehension. I want to make it clear to anyone involved that our determination to find those responsible will be absolute, and we will target anyone who has carried out this shooting or assisted those responsible in any way.'
'Gun crime in Merseyside has become increasingly rare in recent years and it is in no small part down to the information, engagement and partnership work in those areas which have been affected. This same community strength will help us in the coming days. If you know anything, speak to us directly or anonymously and we will take positive action to find and remove from the community any firearms and those people reckless enough to use them.'



