The removal of a massive sperm whale carcass from a remote beach in the Royal National Park has ignited a fierce debate over safety protocols and respect for marine life. The 20 to 25-tonne, eight-metre-long decomposing whale was towed 20 kilometres south from Era beach to Bellambi boat ramp on Friday, attracting sharks and leaving local fishers, surfers, and divers feeling endangered and uninformed.
Operation Details and Criticism
The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) contracted a tugboat with a 60-tonne capacity to extract the whale, which had washed ashore on 25 April. Due to advanced decomposition, towing it out to sea was deemed unfeasible as it would create a shipping hazard. Instead, the carcass was strapped, pulled from the rocks at dawn, and towed to Bellambi, where it was broken apart and transported to the Whytes Gully waste facility.
Wollongong city councillor Jess Whittaker condemned the operation as clumsy and poorly communicated. She stated, “The community was placed in an unfair situation, the whale was not treated with the respect it deserved, and our beaches are likely to experience increased shark activity for weeks.” Whittaker is demanding a government review involving all agencies.
Lack of Warnings
Reports indicate that water users were not adequately warned. Local spear fisher Darren Bissett, who was spearfishing near Bellambi, only learned of the approaching carcass from a commercial diver who intercepted radio chatter. Bissett described seeing multiple sharks near the boat ramp and expressed shock that no alarms were sounded. “We had no notification, and that was a particularly dangerous situation,” he said.
The Woonona Boardriders Club president, Marc Robson, said the club cancelled its first championship event of the year due to safety concerns. He noted that many surfers and swimmers were unaware of the operation, leading to confusion and anger.
Responsibility and Communication Failures
NPWS stated that Wollongong city council, as local land manager, was responsible for beach closures and public warnings. However, the council claimed NPWS was the lead agency and provided an operational timeline on Thursday indicating the whale would arrive Friday afternoon, but requested it not be distributed. Surf Life Saving NSW said it was notified only after the whale was removed from Era beach on Friday morning.
Surf Life Saving Illawarra reportedly learned of the arrival from local fishers, not from authorities. The council emailed them at 11am, after the carcass had already arrived. SharkSmart reported a shark sighting at Bellambi beach at 11am, leading to beach closures. Over the weekend, 16 sharks were sighted in the area, including a bull shark and a 3.73-metre tiger shark.
Cultural and Environmental Impact
Bissett highlighted the cultural significance of whales to Indigenous Australians, calling the towing distressing. Wollongong council acknowledged the whale’s importance and said it takes the loss seriously. Lord mayor Tania Brown has requested an urgent meeting with state ministers and NPWS to establish future protocols.
NPWS said it will review the operation with other parties to identify lessons learned. Councillor Whittaker warned that as whale populations recover, more carcasses will wash ashore, necessitating more sensitive and culturally appropriate handling.



