Six murder probes in Greater Manchester in under two weeks
Six murder probes in Greater Manchester in under two weeks

In the space of less than two weeks, six murder investigations were launched in Greater Manchester. Two women and four men lost their lives. They all leave behind loved ones, some of them leave behind children.

Across each of the cases, four men and two women were arrested on suspicion of murder. Some have been charged, some have been bailed. In one of the cases, police later ruled out murder as a line of enquiry.

The incidents happened in Bolton, Tameside, Rochdale, Salford and Manchester. There is no suggestion that any of the cases are linked.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

August 4 - Yewdale Avenue, Bolton

It was 3.15am on Tuesday, August 4 when police were called out to Yewdale Avenue in the Breightmet area of Bolton. Officers responded to reports of an assault at an address on the street. They found an unresponsive woman, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The woman has since been identified as Emma McGowan.

She was 39-years-old. Her family described her as a 'much-loved daughter and adored mother'. Ms McGowan leaves behind four children. "Our hearts are broken and we will miss you forever", her loved ones said in a tribute.

An investigation was launched following her death. Joseph Webb, 36, of Yewdale Avenue, has since been charged with murder. He was due to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates' Court on August 6. He has remanded into custody ahead of his next court appearance.

August 4 - Winterford Road, Mossley

A 'concern for welfare' call sparked the emergency response at a property on Winterford Road in Mossley. Police and paramedics arrived on the scene following the alert at around 5.25pm on Tuesday, August 4. Sadly, a 61-year-old woman was found dead by police and paramedics. She was later named as 61-year-old Julie Loco.

No further details on Ms Loco have been released at this stage by police, or by her relatives. Police launched a murder probe following her death. A 60-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder. He was then released on bail as the investigation continued.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said previously that there was 'no wider risk to the public' following Ms Loco's death. More details on the circumstances are likely to be heard at an inquest opening at Manchester South Coroners' Court at a later date.

August 11 - Great Howarth, Rochdale

Emergency services descended on Great Howarth, a residential street off Wardle Road in Rochdale, at around 7.30pm on Tuesday, August 11. They responded to reports of an 'unexpected death'. A man was found unresponsive inside a property. Paramedics attempted CPR but sadly, the man was pronounced dead at short time later.

The man has since been named as Nathan Haigh. The 31-year-old was described as a 'beautiful son' by his mum Keeley Greenwood. Following Nathan's death, GMP launched a murder investigation. Detectives said they were 'exploring several lines of enquiry into what initially appeared to be suspicious circumstances'.

A 37-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder. In an update issued on August 19, a spokesperson for the force said murder had now been ruled out of the enquiry. The woman arrested for murder had been released. She remains on bail for assault. It has not yet been made clear whether this assault relates to what happened to Nathan. The investigation into his death is continuing.

Police are awaiting the full details of a post-mortem examination. Detective Inspector Georgina Fearn, from the force's Rochdale CID, said: "Specialist officers continue to support Nathan’s family, and our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time. “Nathan was a young man in his prime and his sudden death came as a shock to those who knew him. From the outset, we remained open-minded regarding the cause of death and explored several possible lines of enquiry as part of our investigation.“Our enquiries have established that murder is no longer being treated as a line of enquiry. We continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding Nathan’s death while awaiting the full results of the post-mortem examination.“We understand that incidents of this nature may cause concern within the community; however, we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.”

More information on the circumstances surrounding Nathan's death will likely be heard at an inquest opening at a later date.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

August 12 - Kempster Gardens, Salford

Another 'disturbance' was reported to police, this time on Kempster Gardens in the Broughton area of Salford. Officers were scrambled to the scene just before 5.20am on Wednesday, August 12. A man, aged in his 30s, was found dead at a flat. A murder probe was launched and a man, also aged in his 30s, was arrested.

The identity of the man found dead has not yet been revealed by GMP. No further details have been released yet on the circumstances surrounding the man's death. In the days following the incident, forensic officers were pictured combing the property, both inside and outside, for evidence. Neighbours at the scene told the M.E.N that they heard shouts for help in the vicinity in the early hours of Wednesday morning, with another reporting seeing a police officer leaving the flat in tears as forensics worked at the scene.

One neighbour living on the same side of the street said the two men, believed to be living together, had moved in between two and four weeks ago and had 'never caused any problems'. "There had been some sort of party on Saturday night with friends coming and going with beers," she said. "All was quiet on Monday night."I woke up at around 5:30 this morning and heard shouts of 'help' and 'call the police'. I thought someone was just messing about so I ignored it and went back to bed. "In the morning we saw the police cars and a man being arrested and taken away. I didn't take it seriously at the time but I feel a bit sick to my stomach now. What if I had called the police earlier, would they have come sooner... I feel guilty for ignoring it."

Detectives said previously they were not looking for anymore suspects. "We believe this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the community", GMP's Detective Superintendent Jen Tattersall said.

August 15 - Berwyn Avenue, Blackley

It was around 2.45am on Saturday, August 15 when police were called over a 'disturbance' on Berwyn Avenue in Blackley. It's unclear exactly what was happening at the house in question. Officers found a man inside with injuries consistent with stab wounds. He was rushed to hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

Sadly, two days later, the man died on Monday, August 17 after his condition worsened. He has since been identified as 36-year-old Kevin Lewis, who is also known as Abdul Kareem. "Kevin was a devoted Muslim and a loving father, son, brother, uncle and dear friend. He was a kind and caring person whose warmth touched the hearts of everyone who knew him", the dad-of-four's family said a tribute.

Initially, a 29-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of wounding and assaulting a police officer. Later, following the victim's death, she was re-arrested on suspicion of murder. She is now on bail while the police investigation continues. In the latest update, a GMP spokesperson said detectives working on the incident were awaiting the results of a post-mortem.

The incident was described as 'isolated'. "Our thoughts are with Kevin’s friends and family at this sad time, who are being supported by specialist officers", GMP's Detective Chief Inspector Zed Ali said.

August 15 - Chapel Street, Levenshulme

At around 7pm on Saturday, August 15 police received a 999 call reporting a stabbing on Chapel Street in Levenshulme. The incident was said to have happened close to, or on, Chapel Street Park. Officers arrived and found a 24-year-old had suffered 'serious stab wounds'. Sadly, he died at the scene.

He has since been named as Zherko Rasul Osman. The 24-year-old was described by his brother as a 'kind, friendly and loving person'. "He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him", he said.

A murder investigation was launched following his death. Glenn Shitama, of no fixed abode, has been charged with murder. The 23-year-old has also been charged with possession of a bladed article in a public place. He appeared at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court on Friday morning (August 20). A trial, with a ten day estimate, has been fixed for January 18, 2027. A pretrial and preparation hearing has been set for November 3.