A major search operation has been launched off Scotland after a man reportedly went overboard from a cruise ship. The alarm was raised at around 8.30am on August 21 after emergency services received reports of a man overboard around 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath.
Incident Details
The Ambition cruise ship had been returning from a solar eclipse trip around Iceland, the Faroes and Shetland, with passengers due to disembark in Scotland at around 11am. The ship has since docked in Dundee while the search for the missing man continues.
More than 1,000 passengers and crew were initially asked to remain on board while searches were carried out, but passengers have since been allowed to disembark.
Search and Rescue Response
An HM Coastguard helicopter and aeroplane have been sent to the area alongside RNLI lifeboats and Coastguard Rescue Teams. A commercial search and rescue helicopter and several nearby vessels are also assisting.
An HM Coastguard spokesperson said: "HM Coastguard is coordinating the response to a report made at about 8.35am on 21 August of a man overboard from a passenger vessel in waters about 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath."
"An HM Coastguard helicopter and aeroplane have been sent as well as RNLI lifeboats from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry, and Coastguard Rescue Teams from Dundee, Arbroath and St Andrews. A commercial search and rescue helicopter and several nearby vessels are assisting with searches. The passenger vessel has berthed at Dundee. Police Scotland has been informed."
Statements from Responders
An RNLI spokesperson said: "All-weather lifeboats from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry RNLI launched shortly after 9.30am today (Friday 21 August) to support HM Coastguard in a search for a missing person overboard from a passenger vessel approximately 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath."
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Around 8.55am on Friday, 21 August, 2026, police received a report a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife. A search and rescue operation is currently being carried out by HM Coastguard, but the man remains missing. His next of kin is aware. Police enquiries remain ongoing."
A statement from the cruise company said: "Ambassador Cruise Line can confirm that the Captain of Ambition reported a missing person incident earlier this morning. The ship, which is now berthed in Dundee, was on passage from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after it was found that a guest was not where they were expected to be."
"Guests on board have been kept informed of developments by the Captain and a thorough ship-wide search was carried out on arrival in Dundee. Having initially been asked to remain on board while the search was carried out, guests have now been cleared to disembark. Ambassador follows stringent search and rescue protocols in line with international maritime safety standards. We continue to work in close collaboration with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, HM Coastguard and Police Scotland as the investigation continues."
"Ambassador remains committed to the safety and wellbeing of all our guests and crew. As a result of this development, today's turnaround operation in Dundee was slightly delayed. However, guests due to travel on board Ambition should make their way to the port as per their embarkation schedule. We are unable to provide further details at this time due to this incident forming part of an ongoing police investigation."



