Poll: Should UK taxpayers fund Harry and Meghan's security?
Poll: Should UK fund Harry and Meghan's security?

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are returning to the UK, and their move has reignited debate over who will fund their security. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to live in a non-royal residence outside London, with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet already enrolled in British schools.

It remains unclear whether taxpayers will cover the cost of their security, and the exact reason for their relocation has not been confirmed. The Sussexes have not yet commented publicly.

Prime Minister declines to comment

Prime Minister Andy Burnham would not be drawn on Harry and Meghan's security arrangements in the UK, describing the funding as a "private matter".

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The announcement comes as Prince Harry has faced a prolonged legal battle with the Home Office over security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.

Ravec security process

At the end of June, Harry was still awaiting a review by the Risk Management Board, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements. He and his security detail were working to ensure his July visit could take place safely.

Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including members of the Royal Family, are made by Ravec, which includes the Home Office, the Metropolitan Police, and the Royal Household, and is advised by an independent chairman or chairwoman.

Legal costs ruling pending

As the fallout from the announcement continued, Harry and six other household names were set to learn how many millions of pounds they would have to pay to the Daily Mail's publisher in legal costs. The high-profile figures, including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, but Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases in a judgment last month.

Mr Justice Nicklin is to give his decision on the size of the initial payment the group will make to ANL, with the court previously told that the total costs were more than £34 million.

The Sussexes' decision to relocate to the UK was relayed to the King just three days before the news went public on Wednesday night. The couple moved to California more than six years ago amid the Megxit crisis, which was followed by ongoing family fallouts and accusations aimed at the Prince and Princess of Wales and the King and Queen Camilla.

Rumours have circulated about where Harry and Meghan will settle, with suggestions including rural locations in the Cotswolds of Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire, amid speculation over which schools they have chosen for their children. The King is said to be glad to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, with no half-in, half-out option. Archie and Lili are expected to start at their new schools in early September.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration