Five teenagers who died in a car crash on the M9 in Ireland have been pictured. The young man and boys aged between 15 and 18 were named as: Jeremy O'Brien, 18, from Carlow; Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Kildare; Jack Kennedy, 17, also from Athy and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick.
High-powered BMW driven wrong way
The high-powered BMW was driven the wrong way down the motorway. The collision also badly injured three women and a seven-year-old child.
The Irish Mirror reports that the vehicle was legitimately purchased in the Carlow area on August 11 - five days before the tragedy.
Tributes to the victims
Jeremy O'Brien's mother Margaret posted: "Rest in heavenly peace my beautiful son. Things will never be the same without you. You took a piece of my heart to heaven with you. It was such a privilege to be your mother. I am so proud of you."
A "pal" said: "I don't think words can describe this today Big Red Jeremy O Brien. You were the most gentle boy with the biggest heart of gold and a personality that would have taken you around the world and back. My heart goes out to your poor mommy and brothers today. I'll miss you living in our yard and me nagging you in the morning to come and run into the shop for my Redbull even though you would end up coming and getting it for me after half an hour of complaining. You were just a young boy of 18 years of age. I'll miss the laughs we'd have. Love you my brother forever and a day. Fly high Big Red."
An RIP.ie death notice for Joe Carthy read: "Deeply regretted by his loving parents William and Gemma, brothers John, Willie and Ned, sisters Margarita and Mary Doll, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and the members of St Michael's Boxing Club, Athy."
Warning over social media likes
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly said earlier this week that the incident was "horrific", warning that cars are being driven on the wrong side of motorways for likes on social media. He added: "My thoughts are with those injured in this morning's collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway. This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong side of the motorway is. That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves."



