North East coastguards are among almost 600 who have called for a vote of no confidence in the chief executive of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
GMB Union escalates concerns
GMB Union wrote to the MCA chair Lord Stevens in July to 'formally express our lack of confidence in the leadership of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency under Chief Executive Virginia McVea'. Since then, 580 Coastguards across the UK have signed up to the no confidence vote.
Lord Stevens has thus far not responded to GMB and the union has now written a further letter on August 11 to 'formally escalate the concerns previously raised'. Coastguards are calling for an expression of no confidence, an independent review into leadership culture, the chance to submit evidence to the review, and a clear timetable for responding to concerns raised.
Union criticises lack of response
Nicola Savage, GMB National Officer, said: "These life-saving workers have already told Lord Stevens in no uncertain terms they are unhappy with the chief exec. It's pretty disrespectful they haven't yet had a response – but hopefully the hundreds of signatures on the vote of no confidence might give him a bit of a nudge."
Savage added: "Coastguards give their time, skills and even risk their lives to keep people safe. They need to know their boss is right behind them – and after the shambles of the renumeration payments, that's just not how they feel about Ms McVea."
Department for Transport responds
ChronicleLive contacted the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for comment and were referred to the Department for Transport. A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "It would not be appropriate to confirm or comment on specific cases, particularly where matters may be subject to live investigation, to protect confidentiality and ensure due process.
"We take all complaints seriously and have well-established policies and processes in place to review and investigate any concerns raised."



