Massachusetts Judge Accused of Assault, Claiming He Was 'Untouchable'
Judge Accused of Assault, Claimed He Was 'Untouchable'

A Cape Cod judge has been accused of physically assaulting a woman on two separate occasions, allegedly telling her that his position as a judge rendered him 'untouchable,' according to prosecutors.

Details of the Allegations

Judge Robert Welsh III, 60, is accused of assaulting, restraining, and kicking the same woman in incidents that occurred in Las Vegas, Nevada, and Sandwich, Massachusetts. Court documents filed on Tuesday allege that Welsh declared his judicial status made him immune to consequences.

Incident in Las Vegas

The first alleged incident took place in May 2021 while the judge and the woman were on vacation in Las Vegas. According to court documents obtained by the Daily Mail, the pair had been arguing on a bus heading to their hotel. The woman accused Welsh of throwing her to the ground and then leaving to meet mutual friends.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Incident in Massachusetts

The second alleged assault occurred in January of this year in Sandwich, Massachusetts, just over an hour from Providence, Rhode Island. The unidentified woman claimed that Welsh grabbed her by the arms and squeezed so tightly that she had to bite him to make him let go. She also alleged that he kicked her in the vagina while wearing a shoe.

Police Report and Witnesses

A police report included photographs of bruising and swelling on the woman's arms and groin. State Police Detective Lieutenant Kevin MacDermott wrote that the woman reported Welsh consistently told her he was 'untouchable' because he was a judge. MacDermott was contacted by Cape and Islands District Attorney Robert Galibois on May 4, leading to a meeting on May 6 where the woman detailed the allegations.

Alcohol Use

The woman also described Welsh as an alleged heavy drinker who was often intoxicated and would show up to work hungover. She claimed that as he drank, he became more easily aggravated, and during both assaults, he appeared intoxicated.

Legal Proceedings

Welsh is set to be arraigned on June 11 after requesting a delay in the hearing. He was placed on administrative leave last week, a spokesperson confirmed to the Daily Mail, and will not hear cases while the matter is ongoing. He is not currently in custody. Welsh faces a misdemeanor charge of assault and battery on a family or household member and a felony charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a person over 60 years old.

Background

Welsh was appointed in 2006 by former Republican Governor Mitt Romney and served as first justice in Orleans District Court for at least nine years, according to MassLive. His attorney, Daniel W. O'Malley, told the Daily Mail that they had no comment at this time. The Daily Mail also reached out to Orleans District Court, Suffolk County Attorney's Office, and Brighton Municipal Court for further comment.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration