Brydon Carse handcuffed by police outside Derby nightclub; ECB investigates
Brydon Carse handcuffed by police; ECB investigates

England fast bowler Brydon Carse was handcuffed by police in Derby on Saturday as he became the latest England cricketer involved in a late-night incident. A brief video on social media shows the bowler being apprehended by several police officers outside a nightclub as he celebrated Durham's County Championship win over Derbyshire.

However, Carse, who has been included in England's squad for the second Test against Pakistan at Lord's starting on Thursday, was not arrested and released without charge.

ECB statement and investigation

“We are aware of an incident which is reported to have taken place in Derby last night, and are currently investigating,” a statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board said. “We will provide a further update when possible.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Carse was England's leading wicket-taker during the winter Ashes defeat but was omitted from last week's three-day win over Pakistan at Headingley and released to play for Durham at Derby.

Details of the incident

It is unknown what sparked Carse to be detained by four police officers, although the video on social media shows him speaking to his Durham and England teammate Matthew Potts. Durham have refused to comment on the incident, citing the ECB investigation, while Derbyshire police have been approached for comment.

Recent England incidents and Carse's background

The last 12 months have seen several England cricketers make headlines for the wrong reasons, starting with Harry Brook, the white-ball captain, being punched by a bouncer outside a Wellington nightclub, hours before leading the one-day international side against New Zealand last November.

A mid-series break during the Ashes at a beach resort the following month was widely criticised amid reports it represented a glorified stag do, with video emerging of Ben Duckett appearing worse for wear. A midnight curfew was subsequently put in place then breached by Ben Stokes and Gus Atkinson following England's win over New Zealand at Lord's in June. The pair were in effect stood down for the next Test at the Oval before returning for the decider at Trent Bridge.

Stokes ended his international career at the end of the series, prompting the ECB to reinstall Joe Root, who swiftly abolished the curfew. Root told Sky Sports this month: “I don't think they work. If you want guys to take responsibility on the field they've got to be able to feel they can be grown adults off it.”

Carse has not featured for England in any format since the end of the Ashes in January, with a hand injury blighting his first half of 2026, forcing him to miss the Indian Premier League, too. The 31-year-old, capped in 14 Tests, 30 ODIs and 14 T20s, was banned for three months two years ago for betting violations following an anti-corruption investigation by the cricket regulator.

Carse accepted the charges of placing 303 bets on various cricket matches between 2017 and 2019, though not on games in which he was playing.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration