A major theory has emerged in the investigation into the tragic deaths of three sisters who drowned off Brighton beach earlier this month. Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, from Uxbridge, London, were pulled from the English Channel at around 5:45 am on May 13 after emergency services received reports of people struggling in the water. All three were pronounced dead at the scene.
New Theory on How the Tragedy Unfolded
Investigators are now believed to be focusing on the possibility that at least one of the sisters walked too far into the water and lost her footing when the shingle seabed dropped away abruptly. Coastguards suspect that the women may have been swept away from the shore after falling off the coastal shelf. Locals in Brighton have noted that the seabed falls away dramatically not far from the beach, making paddling too far out dangerous. Regular warnings are issued to visitors, especially around the Palace Pier area where the shingle is steepest.
Heartfelt Tributes from the Family
In an emotional tribute, the sisters' father, Joseph, said their lives "ended so tragically far too soon" and that "no words can truly describe the pain" of "losing three daughters in the prime of their lives." He acknowledged that some days the grief feels "unbearable," but he holds onto the memories they shared and "the bond that death can never take away." A statement released through police read: "Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love. Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful. Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever."
Police Investigation Continues
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove, said: "The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss. I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country, and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning." He added that the investigation will continue with the family at its centre, and asked for privacy as they come to terms with the tragedy. Floral tributes have been left along the beach as the community mourns.



