A high-flying construction boss has made explosive allegations that his estranged wife poisoned him and even attempted to hire a bikie to cause him harm, according to court documents.
The Allegations
Mario Evangelo, the head of a multi-million-dollar development company, has told police he was left fighting for his life after suffering mysterious illnesses following meals prepared by his then-wife, Janelle. The claims are detailed in an application for an apprehended violence order (AVO) filed by police.
According to documents submitted to the Downing Centre Local Court, Mr Evangelo experienced prolonged periods of illness after eating meals cooked by the 60-year-old. He alleged that his wife would serve him different food from the rest of the family and warned him not to share it with their children.
Medical Emergency
In February 2023, Mr Evangelo's condition deteriorated dramatically. He became gravely ill, showing signs of jaundice, and was rushed to St George Hospital by his GP. Police documents state that he stopped breathing and required resuscitation twice, as doctors conducted urgent tests on his liver.
Mr Evangelo later told police he would inexplicably begin to recover whenever he was away from home on holidays or business trips.
Relationship History
The couple has a tumultuous history, with an on-again, off-again relationship dating back to the 1990s. They have married and divorced twice. Currently, they live separately, with Ms Evangelo residing in the couple's luxurious $9.5 million Crown Towers apartment in Sydney.
Bikie Allegation
Court documents also contain allegations that Ms Evangelo attempted to hire a bikie to harm her estranged husband. These claims have not been tested in court. Police allege Ms Evangelo said, "Can you find someone to hurt Mario? I am willing to pay any price. I don't have any other choice," and asked, "Isn't Forrest Inn Hotel a hangout for the bikies?"
Ms Evangelo has not been charged with any crime and is expected to contest the allegations in the AVO application.
Legal Proceedings
In court last week, a police prosecutor requested more time, informing Judge Susan Horan that officers were preparing to lay charges regarding the claims. The case is scheduled to return to court on July 22.



