A66 crash victim shared TikTok police chase video before death
A66 crash victim shared TikTok police chase video before death

An 18-year-old who died in yesterday’s A66 crash had previously posted TikTok videos that appeared to show himself in a car chase with police, it has emerged. The early-morning crash near Middlesbrough resulted in seven deaths, including police officers PC Matthew Blades, 37, and PC Tom Clough, 38.

The incident occurred when a Volkswagen Passat with five occupants drove the wrong way along the A-road before colliding with a police car travelling in the correct direction. All seven victims were declared dead at the scene shortly before 4am.

TikTok videos show previous pursuits

One of the victims, 18-year-old Makai Saddington, had previously been involved in other police pursuits, videos on his TikTok account suggest. A clip posted in May shows teenagers driving in an Audi at speed through a housing estate as a police car follows with blue lights flashing, according to the Sun.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The Audi leaves the road and drives over a grassy field in an apparent effort to shake off the pursuers. Michael Ray, Theo Rae, Cole Worthy and Jakub Matusiak have been named locally as the other four teens who were killed in the crash on Saturday morning.

Tributes and investigation

The mother of Mr Saddington’s one-year-old son wrote on social media: ‘What am I supposed to do without ur daft phone calls and u torching me life’s so cruel’.

Tributes have also been paid to the two police officers who died, with Prime Minister Andy Burnham saying he was ‘devastated’ by the news. He wrote on X: ‘My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of everyone involved, and with everyone at Cleveland Police. Thank you to the emergency services responding in incredibly difficult circumstances. I would urge people to avoid speculation at this time.’

Shabana Mahmood, the home secretary, said Cleveland Police has her support as they work to ascertain the full details behind the incident. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is now investigating the incident following a mandatory referral.

Director of Investigations Nicola Marfleet said: ‘This is a tragic incident, and my thoughts are with family and friends and all those affected, including the emergency services in attendance. Our investigation is in the very early stages, we have sent investigators to the post incident procedures to begin reviewing evidence.’

In a statement yesterday, Chief Constable Victoria Fuller said: ‘This is an incredibly sad day for Cleveland. This loss is being felt across our communities, by our police family, and by our partner agencies. These were brave officers, protecting our communities and serving our residents who didn’t return home to their families at the end of their shift.’

Saturday’s crash came less than a week after a similar incident on Ireland’s M9 motorway in Co Kildare. That crash resulted in the deaths of five teenagers who were driving a stolen BMW the wrong way along the road. It collided with a car travelling in the right direction, carrying a family believed to be heading to Dublin Airport for a holiday. Three women and a seven-year-old boy were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration