Mystery patient unidentified three years after collapsing in Amsterdam
Mystery patient unidentified three years after Amsterdam collapse

A man who collapsed in an Amsterdam street more than three years ago has still not been identified, despite extensive efforts by police and volunteers.

The man was found on May 10, 2023, and taken to hospital, where doctors suspected he had suffered a stroke or a brain haemorrhage. He was left with aphasia, a condition affecting the ability to speak and understand language. He had no bank cards, identification or other clues among his belongings, leaving medics unable to establish his name or origin.

Known as 'Chris the Canadian'

Investigators have retraced places the man was known to visit. Staff at the Soupenzo cafe on Waterlooplein recognised him as someone they called “Chris the Canadian”. An employee told DutchNews he would regularly come in looking shabby and seemingly mentally unwell, usually carrying a suitcase. He requested very particular variations of soup, which staff accommodated, and despite his appearance he always had money. Investigators were told he spoke English with an accent believed to be American or Canadian.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Police said the man can now use some English words to confirm or deny things, but remains unable to communicate much beyond that. Although nobody appeared to know his real name, many locals were familiar with him.

Multiple aliases and conflicting stories

At a Buddhist community on Middenweg, members told investigators they knew him as “Lucky”. He was also a familiar face around a public square where he bought items from shops and market stalls, known by a string of names including Lucky, Louis, Lee, John, Ponytail and Sonny.

Different accounts of his life have only deepened the mystery. Authorities were told stories suggesting he was extremely wealthy, while others recalled seeing him wandering the streets of Amsterdam. It is now believed he may have spent time in both North America and Nepal, although investigators still do not know how long he had been living in Amsterdam before he collapsed.

Retired officers take on the case

The case was eventually taken on by two retired police officers, identified in a news release only as Ruud and Nel, who volunteer with a cold case team in the Netherlands, according to CTV. Although police are not treating the case as a criminal investigation, the pair have attempted to reconstruct the man’s life in the hope that somebody will eventually recognise him.

Efforts to identify him through DNA databases and facial recognition technology have drawn a blank. Strict privacy rules have prevented police from accessing some larger data sources where a potential match could be found, a spokesperson for the department told DutchNews.

The man is now being cared for at a facility where police say he spends his days lying in bed, while experts involved in his care have determined he lacks the capacity to make decisions for himself. Ruud and Nel have been left wondering whether people outside the Netherlands could be relatives who have spent years wondering what happened to him.

Retired cop Nel said: "I simply cannot believe that nobody knows who this man really is." Ruud added: "Every person has the right to an identity, and that includes this man."

Anyone with any ideas of who the man is are encouraged to reach out to the Amsterdam police.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration