London bus strikes resume next week after drivers reject deal
London bus strikes to resume next week after deal rejected

Strikes will hit bus routes across north London next week after drivers rejected a deal.

More than 1,500 drivers will resume industrial action on Tuesday, August 25 over sweltering conditions in their cabs during the recent heatwaves. The walkouts were suspended last week for negotiations, but Unite members rejected an offer from operator Arriva arguing it did “not go far enough to solve the problems of hot weather working”. A number of further strikes are also planned over the coming months and some will take place during the planned closures on the Piccadilly Line in August and September.

Cab temperatures reach 40C

Drivers have argued that temperatures in their cabs can reach a sweltering 40C, putting them at risk of fatigue and heat exhaustion, heat stroke and dehydration.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Union Unite said most buses operated by Arriva North London have air cooling systems, rather than air conditioning, which only managed to reduce temperatures by around two or three degrees during the recent series of heatwaves.

Union calls for meaningful changes

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “London bus drivers do a vital job, but are putting themselves at risk due to these appalling conditions.

“Arriva can fully afford to make meaningful changes our members can accept. Until that happens, strike action will continue and our members at Arriva North London will continue to have the full backing of Unite.”

Drivers at the Barking, Edmonton, Enfield, Grays, Palmers Green, Stamford Hill, Tottenham and Wood Green garages are set to take part in the latest round of strikes having previously walked out on Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15. The last industrial action led to delays and cancellations for more than 40 bus routes in the capital.

Further walkout dates announced

Unite regional officer Steven Stockwell said: “There is still time for Arriva to stop this disruptive action, but it relies on it coming back to the table with a deal our members believe will solve the serious problems with conditions once and for all.”

The remaining walkout dates are:

  • August: 25 to 28
  • September: 4 to 5, 7 to 8, 18 to 19, and 21 to 22
  • October: 2 to 3, 5 to 6, 16 to 17, and 19 to 20

Arriva has said the wellbeing of its staff and customers is its “top priority”, adding it has added extra welfare checks and cooling breaks during hot weather and is collaborating with Transport for London to roll out upgraded air conditioning on newer fleet buses.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration