First Bus bans under-15s from travelling alone after 6pm in Stoke-on-Trent
First Bus bans under-15s from travelling alone after 6pm in Stoke

First Bus has banned some teenagers from travelling alone on buses in a UK city after 6pm. The restriction applies to children under the age of 15, who must now be accompanied by an adult when travelling on services to and from Hanley Bus Station, in Stoke-on-Trent, after 6pm.

The move follows a rise in anti-social behaviour in the area, including one incident where over 100 young people behaved in an "intimidating and aggressive way" at a local bus station. The bus operator, which carries over a million passengers every day across regional and local services in the UK, confirmed the new rules.

Surge in incidents after free travel scheme

First Bus previously launched its Great British Summer Savings scheme on August 1, offering complimentary travel to those aged between five and 15. However, there has been a surge in incidents on services in Stoke-on-Trent since the scheme, which is set to last throughout August, was introduced.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Rebecca Arrowsmith, general manager of First Bus in the area, told the BBC: "The safety of our staff and customers is always our number one priority and we will always take steps to ensure everyone on board can travel in comfort and without nuisance."

She added: "This measure has the full support of the council and will be kept under daily review. We hope to be able to end the restriction as soon as possible."

Drivers told to use discretion

Drivers across the area have been told to "exercise their discretion" over whether to allow children onto the bus. Ms Arrowsmith said there had been "growing incidents" on board services in recent times, with some drivers reporting kids swinging from handrail straps and running through the bus while they were moving.

However, Finlay Gordon-McCusker, Stoke-on-Trent council's cabinet minister for transport (Labour), has insisted the free travel scheme is not to blame for the incidents.

Council and government respond

On the summer scheme, Simon Mathieson, the firm's regional director for the East and Midlands, added: "We have seen a large uptake in the area for children using this scheme, which is great."

He continued: "Buses are important, buses matter. We know people like to travel by bus. Obviously, the weather has been fantastic, with people getting out and about. We've seen good use of this scheme, but we just need people to act sensibly when they're on the bus and in the bus station."

A Government spokesman said: "Our Great British Summer Savings scheme allows kids under 15 to travel for free on participating services, to give families room to breathe and enjoy days out throughout August."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration