Xabi Alonso backs Enzo Fernandez to win over Chelsea fans amid Man City interest
Xabi Alonso backs Enzo Fernandez to win over Chelsea fans

Xabi Alonso has expressed confidence that Enzo Fernandez can win round Chelsea's disgruntled supporters but declined to shed any light on whether the midfielder will stay at Stamford Bridge beyond next month's transfer deadline.

Fernandez has been training alongside the Blues squad for the past few weeks as speculation surrounding his future has intensified behind the scenes. After Rodri left for Barcelona, Manchester City are keen to sign the Argentina international, who informed Chelsea officials of his wish to depart earlier in the summer. As of now, the west Londoners have yet to receive any formal offers for the player.

Mixed reception from fans

The 25-year-old made his return to Stamford Bridge at the weekend, coming off the bench in the second half of Chelsea's final pre-season friendly victory over Real Sociedad. The Argentine was met with jeers from a portion of Blues fans, while others responded by cheering and chanting the midfielder's name in support.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

With Chelsea's Premier League curtain-raiser against west London rivals Fulham on Monday night fast approaching, Alonso is confident Fernandez has what it takes to win over his detractors.

"I'm sure it will happen because this is a normal situation in football," said Alonso. "Once we start the competition, we need the support and we need the full commitment of all the team and of all the supporters when they come to Stamford Bridge.

"That we are all in the same direction and that we are pushing in the same direction."

Alonso praises Fernandez's mentality

The Chelsea boss added on the reception Fernandez received: "It's not unusual, it can happen. We support him, we have a great player with Enzo. He's a top player, he's been so important.

"And we are happy that when I see him training, you see that he has a competitive mentality, a competitive player. And we work with him every day very well."

Alonso, however, was unable to reassure Chelsea supporters that Fernandez will remain at the club beyond the September 1 transfer deadline.

When asked whether Fernandez had made clear his desire to stay with the Blues, the Spaniard replied: "He's training really well and I see him with a really good attitude and that's what we want.

"Everyone is trying their best to prepare for the kick-off of the Premier League."

Fernandez's role in the squad

Alonso was equally tight-lipped about where Fernandez will feature in his tactical set-up should he remain at Stamford Bridge. He said: "He can do both [deep-lying and advanced midfield], mainly because of the balance in the positions.

"Coming from, not starting too high, starting from a build-up position, a playmaker, I think that when he's with the ball he has the qualities to link to the short passes but the long ones as well. He's able to see short and the farther players and from there he can progress."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration