Man wins £4.25m Lottery jackpot but never sees a penny
Man wins £4.25m Lottery but never sees a penny

Clarence Jackson, of Connecticut in the USA, bought a Quick Pick lottery ticket on October 13, 1995, and matched the winning six-number jackpot, which should have earned him $5.8million (£4.25m). However, a series of unfortunate events meant he never received the prize.

Missed the claim deadline by two days

At the time, Jackson was working as a cleaner while caring for his ill father. He did not realise he held the winning ticket until October 13, 1996, the final day of the Connecticut lottery's 365-day claim window.

That day fell on a Sunday. Jackson assumed he would have to take the ticket to the state's lottery headquarters, which he thought would be closed at the weekend. He was unaware that he could have claimed the prize at the store where he purchased the ticket.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Court sides with lottery corporation

Because the following day was Columbus Day, a state holiday in Connecticut, Jackson did not turn in his winning ticket until October 15, by which time it was too late to claim the prize. He then tried to sue the lottery, with his legal team filing a ruling against the Connecticut Lottery Corporation in October 1996.

Jackson explained the extenuating circumstances that led to him missing the deadline. His father had been hospitalised with emphysema, and he had been caring for him for most of the time between buying the ticket and the deadline expiring. He said: "He was in the hospital for most of that year and he came home a week before the expiration date."

Silver lining after the loss

Despite his legal team's efforts, a court sided with the Connecticut Lottery Corporation, which successfully argued that Jackson breached the contract's terms stating winners have one full calendar year to claim their winnings.

After missing out on the life-changing sum, Jackson managed to see a silver lining. Speaking to Good Morning America in 2016, he claimed he would be "dead or broke" if he had received such a large amount of money as a young man. He said: "Back then, I must say, I would have been too young, and I would have blown all the money. I was living a different lifestyle. I was trying to get into the music business back then, and I knew I'd be dead or broke now."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration