Man Utd priced out of Lewis-Skelly move as Zirkzee interest emerges
Man Utd priced out of Lewis-Skelly as Zirkzee interest emerges

Manchester United have been priced out of a move for Arsenal youngster Myles Lewis-Skelly, with the Gunners' valuation proving too high. The versatile defender, who can also operate in midfield, was a target for both United and Chelsea.

According to The Athletic's David Ornstein, Arsenal were open to letting Lewis-Skelly move, but the price quoted was "too high" for United. The club subsequently switched their attention to long-time target Carlos Baleba.

United shift focus to Baleba

Gunners boss Mikel Arteta has since said he is "100 per cent" certain Lewis-Skelly will stay put. Newcastle's Lewis Hall is another left-back on United's wish-list, but again they have been put off by the asking price. Hall is now said to be in talks over a new Newcastle contract and a place in the players' leadership team under new boss Matthias Jaissle.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The need for new signings was laid bare as United made the worst possible start to the new season with a 2-0 defeat against newly promoted Hull City. United have so far bolstered their midfield with the signings of Andrey Santos from Chelsea and Youri Tielemans from Aston Villa, while Baleba is on the way from Brighton.

Aston Villa make Zirkzee approach

Aston Villa have reportedly contacted Manchester United over the availability of Joshua Zirkzee. It is a case of when, not if, the Dutch striker leaves following an underwhelming spell at Old Trafford.

Zirkzee has been strongly linked with a move to Napoli, but that deal is on hold as the Serie A side need to move a player out first. According to Fabrizio Romano, Villa have "made a call" about Zirkzee, though their interest is in its early stages.

Villa's squad has undergone a massive overhaul this summer, with the likes of Lucas Digne, Morgan Rogers and Ezri Konsa, plus Tielemans, departing. A host of new signings have arrived, including former United pair Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

With the Champions League now on the schedule, it is imperative that United strengthen in several positions before the transfer window closes on September 1.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration