Jessica Pegula weighs US Open prize money protest action
Pegula weighs US Open prize money protest action

Jessica Pegula says she and other top players have yet to decide whether to launch another protest over prize money at the US Open. Pegula, dubbed the richest tennis player in the world with a net worth tied to her parents' £6.9billion fortune, has worked alongside other players to fight for a bigger share of Grand Slam revenue.

Waiting on prize money announcement

After a protest at Wimbledon earlier this year, Pegula and others are waiting for news on the US Open purse before making a final decision on how to approach things at Flushing Meadows. “I think going into the US Open, we’re still waiting on a prize money announcement, so we haven’t really made any big decisions,” Pegula told Front Office Sports. “They have definitely come to the table as far as wanting to change some of the stuff that’s been going on. I don’t know how much, how far they’re willing to.”

Background of protests

The 32-year-old’s comments come after players protested at Wimbledon by limiting their media responsibilities across the first week, with many having earlier done similar at the French Open. Pegula, a player representative on the WTA Player Council, was one of 20 stars to sign a letter addressed to organisers of all four Grand Slams in 2025 calling for increased prize money. The Wimbledon protests in 2026 came despite an increase for players, some of whom said it fell short of the 22 per cent of protected revenues they were asking for.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

US Open outlook

The 2026 US Open is due to begin on August 30. Last year’s prize pool sat at US$90m (£65.4m), and players including Pegula and World No.1 Aryna Sabalenka are expected to speak further about their plans in private during the ongoing Cincinnati Open. Pegula goes into the tournament as the No.3 seed, having previously reached the final at her home Grand Slam, losing to Sabalenka in 2024. Sabalenka is a two-time US Open champion, having defended her title last year.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration