Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service has issued an urgent warning about the risk of wildfires after a bin blaze caused by a disposable barbecue. The fire occurred at Alnmouth beach and was contained by firefighters. Last year, a serious wildfire at nearby Druridge Bay, which caused widespread devastation, was thought to have been caused by a barbecue or campfire.
Warning to the public
A spokesman for the fire service said: "A disposable barbecue left in a bin caused a fire that could easily have spread beyond the container and into surrounding vegetation. Disposable barbecues can stay hot long after use and pose a serious wildfire risk."
"With warm weather and dry conditions, please pack a picnic, not a barbecues If you're heading outdoors, take your litter home and help protect Northumberland's countryside."
"With temperatures remaining very high across Northumberland, the risk of wildfire is increased. Disposable barbecues, camping stoves and open flames can easily ignite dry grass and vegetation, putting wildlife, communities and firefighters at risk. Let's keep Northumberland safe this summer."
Government response
On Friday, the Government sent out an Emergency Alert to the public warning of the dangers of wildfires. Measures to reduce risk include a temporary nationwide ban on the sale of disposable barbecues. Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced a package of immediate support for communities and frontline services, including emergency funding for fire and rescue services facing the greatest operational pressures and military assistance in South Wales, where around 200 personnel have been deployed to support response and recovery efforts.
Safety advice
To reduce pressures on emergency services, people are reminded to be extra cautious in dry conditions. This means:
- Do not light fires or open flames in the countryside or other open spaces, including parks, moorland and wooded areas.
- Never leave a household barbecue unattended and ensure it is fully extinguished after use.
- Dispose of smoking materials carefully and never throw cigarette ends from vehicles.
- Take litter home, particularly glass bottles which can intensify sunlight and increase fire risk.
- Call 999 immediately if they see signs of a fire.
First Secretary Louise Haigh said: "In response to the continued risk proposed by wildfires, the government has taken the decision to issue an Emergency Alert to England and Wales. This is the most extensive use of the UK’s Emergency Alert system in response to an active incident, and reflects the seriousness with which the government is acting to safeguard people and property."
"During this period of extreme heat, we are asking people to take simple steps to limit the risk of further fires. By following the safety guidance, everyone can play their part in protecting local communities and supporting our frontline services who are working around the clock to keep people safe."
The government will continue to provide every assistance to communities impacted by these fires, including the deployment of 100 additional military personnel in major incident areas.



