Suspended Reform councillor denies offensive Facebook post charge
Suspended Reform councillor denies offensive Facebook post charge

A suspended Reform UK councillor has appeared in court to deny making a grossly offensive comment on social media about Nigerians. Sunderland City Councillor Glenn Gibbins appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court in South Shields on Friday afternoon.

The 66-year-old was charged with making a grossly offensive comment on Facebook about Nigerians on March 19 2024. Wearing a navy suit and white shirt, Gibbins pleaded not guilty to the single charge at the afternoon hearing.

Court hearing and trial date

Prosecutor Leah Plews said the case was suitable for a summary trial. District Judge Zoe Passfield set a trial date for November 9 at 10am. It will be heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Gibbins, of Sunderland, was granted unconditional bail until his next court appearance.

Background and party suspension

Northumbria Police announced last month that he had been charged with an offence under the Communications Act 2003. The force began an investigation when the post came to light in May this year.

Gibbins, of Sunderland, was elected to the council in May, was suspended by Reform then reinstated with a final written warning. After he was charged, the party suspended him again. He is listed on the Sunderland City Council website as an Independent.

A Reform spokesperson said: "Cllr Gibbins has been suspended from Reform UK pending the outcome of his case."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration