Prime Minister Andy Burnham allegedly communicated with someone impersonating White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, according to reports. The messages, exchanged after Burnham entered Downing Street on July 20, raised suspicions among UK officials who feared Wiles may have been hacked.
Messages 'of no significance'
Politico reported that a person told the outlet a "few messages" had been exchanged, but stressed they were "of no significance." The content of the messages remains unclear, as Downing Street declined to comment. A No10 spokeswoman said: "We do not comment on national security matters."
US investigation
The British embassy in Washington, DC, has reportedly raised the matter with the White House. US media reports indicate the FBI and the White House investigated similar impersonation attempts last year. The Wall Street Journal reported in May that senators, governors, top American business chiefs, and other well-known figures had received communications from someone claiming to be Wiles. At the time, a White House spokeswoman said: "The White House takes the cybersecurity of all staff very seriously, and this matter continues to be investigated."
UK-US relations
The incident comes as Burnham seeks to smooth relations with the US after Trump criticized former PM Keir Starmer for voicing disagreement with joint US-Israel strikes on Iran in February. Burnham, formerly Greater Manchester Mayor, said he would be prepared to call out the President to defend Britain's "national interest before anything else." He told the BBC: "I can't at any point say that I won't take a different opinion from him [Trump], that I will need to voice a different idea that is right for Britain."



